Old 07-17-2010   #11
HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I think standard was 21" tubes, but I had them do 21 1/2". I took the 15 foot boat and stretched it, added some on the tube diameter. Added chafe and d- rings.
Check the website for the sales, seams like they were probably 5 times a year, spring, Memorial Day, Labor Day, fall sometime.

I ordered it beginning of April, got hear the end of June.

rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The Aire and Maravia floors are different. Aire floors take on water, Maravia doesn't. They are both very different floors from traditional rafts.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #13
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Aire has a new sealed floor option, which costs more, but a great boat and an incomparable warranty. Too heavy though at 169 lbs for a 15' 9" for me.

Sotar just had a 4th of July sale at which my brother ordered a 15.5 sotar with 22" tubes, top and bottom chafers and extra D-rings for a motor mount. BTW, the best prices on frames, boxes, oars and misc gear was found at AAA in Denver.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #14
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a Maravia. Don't know much about Sotar.

Maravia floor is stitched, basically thousands of stitches go from bottom to top layer. When you inflate it it becomes very firm and easy to walk/stand on. It also doesn't have a relief valve so you don't end up with a soft floor at the end of the day. It tracks different than an I-beam floor and it's true, it takes a bit used to, but I enjoy gliding and sliding now. It seems I can make fine adjustments right before the rapids easier on this floor than I could on an I-beam floor.

Maravia offers 10 year warranty. In fact I am driving my boat back up next weekend to fix the d-ring I pulled out in the bow while loading the boat onto the trailer. I didn't think they'd cover it and try to weasel out of it by saying it's my fault, but sure enough I got an email from Chris saying they'd fix it with no charge. Great people to work with and obviously locals (Boise, ID).

The abrasive surface is nice for not slipping when wet, but does it get dirty! My boat always looks like a pig because the silt and dirt gets into the surface and impossible to get out. The only thing I can do is to use 303 constantly on it to keep it shiny. So that's the only problem I have with the surface.

Maravias are welded PVC covered with urethane, it feels totally bomber and it's true, you can't roll it, just fold it. I trailer my boat, so I really don't care about folding/rolling. It's a bit heavier (20lbs) than hypalon boats, but the material is thick! From all the Maravia owners I've talked to before the purchase, most of them never had to do in field repairs (only one guy did who dropped a knife into the floor). He said repairs were as easy as hypalon. I never had to repair yet, so I can't say myself.

I am a huge fan of deminishing tubes and Maravia was the only decent company who made these when I was looking for the boat. So that was the decisive factor for me. I also purchased my boat at the end of the season and got a huge discount (25%) for a custom color, size, d-rings boat.

Me and my family are completely happy with our green Maravia and I feel like I made the right choice. That said, I have seen a few Sotar boats on Utah rivers and they all looked and performed well. What's the warranty on Sotar?

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #15
Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Check sotars website. They have demo rafts discounted on there of all sizes
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #16
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Hi Alex, has Maravia always had a 10 year warranty? I thought it was much less, they don't exactly advertise it on the web page. Sotar is 6 years.

I have helped fold Maravia's--many times, and you can fold them, but it sucks. I have wondered if it puts a stress on the fabric in the fold seams...

Patching one is also a nightmare I'm told.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #17
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I"ve been told it's an absolute NoNo to roll PVC boats. Hear tell that it puts permanent little "canyons" in the fabric that eventually turn to tears. Kazak do you roll yours or store it inflated? That would certainly be a factor for me.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #18
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
You seriously can't roll Maravias, you can fold them, which is manageable but still not as tight as rolling. I was told by Maravia it's ok to fold the boat for winter, but they prefer to store it 50% inflated. Any PVC boat should not be stored rolled/folded for too long, plastic is plastic, it will crack eventually.

SimpleMan, I store mine inflated on the trailer all the time, that was my decisive factor to go Maravia.

wildh2onriver, as far as I know they changed their policy 5-6 years ago? I started my research last year about spring and they were at 10 years already. They will cover any cracking in the material within that time frame. I don't know much about patching Maravia, after a year of dragging it on rocks and bumping into some sharp ones, I am still solid. The material feels a lot more bomber than hypalon boats I've tried. Obviously the weight and the folding gives in due to thickness of the material.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #19
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Maravia went to a 10 year warranty a year or so ago. I have owned a Maravia cataraft for 5-6 years and love it! Never had any problems with it, or need to patch/repair it. I float with a friend who has had nothing but Maravia rafts & cats for about 10+ years now. We had to put a small patch on his 10 year old Williwaw raft last summer. First patch on any of his boats. Not hard at all, actually quite straight forward. Did the repair in about 30-45 minutes at camp on the Middle Fork. Because of space issues, he keeps his raft folded and stored in his garage, and the patch was on a fold area on the floor. I had really good experiences with Maravia in Boise when making my boat purchase. I don't know anyone who owns a Sotar, so I can't comment on them. I know their Cats are quite popular. I have owned & worked on Aire boats. If you run silty rivers, I would not recommend them. The silt / zipper/ inner bladder thing is a major pain in the ass.
Have fun choosing a new boat.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #20
westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
The Sotar's are a little more rare because they are pricey for the features.

Love my Green Maravia Spider 13'. Paddle guided every make out there - nothing like it. (go easy on the floor)
And...the fish cringe when we mount the Full San Juan fishing frame on board...

Ark 4500 - enjoy a Maravia.

spiderguide is offline   Reply With Quote