Mountain Buzz banner

sotar boaters posting on threads

11K views 49 replies 30 participants last post by  cravinmorehead 
#1 ·
why is it that non-sotar boaters always stay on topic in threads and post helpful and relevant information and the sotar boaters never do? in every thread on the buzz the sotar boaters hijack the threads and just start talking about how super kewel their thin-fabric'd rainbow-colored financed leaky overpriced boats are and how they make love to class 3 & 4 rapids all day long...

thoughts?

#9 ·
Its very true , I guess there is also something known as a Sotar Cat Boater. These are totaly different than other boaters somehow?? Laura may know:rolleyes:

I know it may be best just to drop all this and
S.wim O.ver T.o A. R.ock and get off of a frame I D.on't R.eally L.ike ?

I don't see Sotar sponsoring the buzz? If you own a Sotar it is ok to talk about it whenever but if you own another brand it is spamming.

Somehow people think these other companies stay in business by not selling any boats? They must sell stuff, its like bigfoot, just cause you don't see him doesn't mean he is not out there.

Of course there are only certain days the cool kids boat,they have to go in packs to pat themselves on the back and say look at me, I have run into awesome boaters who run OLD crap.

They don't need to tell everyone what run they are doing ,when etc, they aren't Glam boaters they do it because they like to go, they don't need to facebook how great they are. No recognition required.

Long Live The Clowntoon!:p

And Yes the Maravians are NoN- Douchey

#10 ·
Comeon, really?

Why you gotta be a hater??? Is Dusty still making his frames using chicken wire and scrap emt conduit? Are you just upset he doesn't offer Saturn in his offerings?

#13 ·
Monto, sotar owner i take it (and some chick/guy you're keen on owns a maravia)?

here's what i like about sotar: excellent for smaller males and females looking for a pretty, lightweight boat that is easy to row/maneuver, and as long as the tubes hold together re-flips are quick and easy

what i don't like: everything else including all things that haven't been invented yet about the sotar boats and their owners

#15 ·
For an expert you sure are misinformed.

I am a Sotar owner! one point for you.

My turn:

a) your supposition that Sotars are only good for "smaller males" stems from your weight which i predict falls in the overweight to morbidly obese range... this is the only conclusion one could draw from such a ludicrous comment.

b) your attempt to pull every Sotar owner into a negative stereotype is a result of an inferiority complex, resulting from living on the east coast.

Hey man, if you've got a boat that gets you down the river I'm all for it, if the construction of it put Americans to work, even better.

I spent 10 years in an old hyside bucket boat and only recently boat in style.

Overall, what a pointless thread, talk about "post[ing] helpful and relevant information."

#19 ·
Hey Laura--are the sheep running scared up there, or just a few non Sotar boaters? <joking>

Sotar envy maybe? Lmao!!

I've owned many premium boats--Avon and Maravia are amazing boats. Sotar is my favorite so far. I love that they're light and well designed for their intended use.

What ever gets people on the river is my philosophy.

#20 ·
What ever gets people on the river is my philosophy.
Well said. I'm an equal opportunity boater. I owe an Outcast/Aire, a Maravia, and a Hyside. Domestic & imported, Hypalon, Urethane, and PVC, zippered & non-zippered, Cats & Dogs & rafts living together. They all work fine and make me happy :D
I love all my river sisters & brothers, even those who row a Sotar with Mardi Gras colors ;););)

#22 ·
Lmao!
Ya lets not get to carried away and onry here. I have boated with some of the nicest people in sotars. But it is true that there are the attitude bunch also, the middle aged whitewater hero's from WRRR have been the most snobby I have run in to. And then there's the private prestigious Wind river dork club :rolleyes: those guys think splashing around in that creek makes them gods.

I really don't think sotar promotes this they have always been pleasant.

I do have to say the maravia boaters are more humble and easy going.

#27 ·
Well judging from the previous comments and posts regarding the 11' legend thread, leads me to think the "expert" is indeed a troll, setting up the great April fools joke, OR they are indeed from Wang, thus making them a Wanger through and through. Either way, carry on folks, nothin to see here.

Sotars got my respect, as other good old American pieces of rubber out there! Keep the hating to a minimum!

We are here for a good time, not a long time...

#30 ·
Omg !! A loser and Gaper, ez girl, orto may not not know what that is !!!

Splashing in the Wind River just makes you a better boater come spring .

Orto your invited out here any time, we need to show you a little whitewater courtesy out west. Dust off your hot whitewater machine lets go knock some powder coat off our frames !! I've boated with generous people from WA, ID, MT, CA,OR , been upside down with the best of them !!

#35 ·
I like it when different boaters comment on what brand boats they have and specific qualities/ quirks that the boats possess. I started in a Riken, and I was sad to see that brand leave the industry. Lots of great boats out there to be paddled. I really like the RMR boats being out there now, being a thermo welded PVC boat. The Hypalon boat market seems to be shrinking a little. I look at the car market the same way. I'm not a brand loyal person, but I have brands I tend to gravitate towards. I haven't seen much about Maravia boats, I know they are a premium brand, but I rarely see them. I've always liked Aire, and I'd buy another one no questions asked. I got a great deal on a Sotar, so I'm happy to have it. Hypalon is tuff as hell, but I like how stiff Sotar's material is inflated compared to Hypalon.

#38 ·
lhowemt309525 said:
I did not mean to imply I was calling anyone a gaper here. Simply trying to make a point that the group may seem a bit exclusive until you've run the river, or know someone and get them to take you down. It is too hit and miss and infrequent of flows to give up a day to show someone the river that is unknown to a person. At least that is my take on the situation, vs them being snobby.
Damn you are a spunky one!:). That's kind of what I mean " it is too hit and miss to give up a day to show someone the river" that's the exact attitude I am talking about.

You know there are people who have just jumped in and gone down and still go down quite frequently by themselves or with other small groups. One guy from the portland area runs it solo and a group from the southern oregon coast run it frequently and they don't send out emails or tell the world look at me.
So my point is you don't have to be in a goofy club or group to feel cool or have fun or wait for someone to take you down. if you have the skills go.

#41 ·
Man you just find something to bitch about in everything that is said, huh? Of course people run every river in the world by themselves or without the help of locals. Sheesh. What I said excludes no one, just trying to clarify what I see. It seemed to me your point was mostly about bashing friends of mine, not about giving people guidance on how to get on a river.... Over and out.

#44 ·
A dirtbag kayaker I know's wife owns a sotar. I think it was last in the water in 2010 to run the flatwater section of the snake. It's in great shape, never see's the sun or water, it has held air for years in storage...... sad sad sotar betty......

#47 ·
It's true. WRRR isn't very welcoming of jackass boaters who show up with no experience, improper gear, and insults for people based on their equipment.

WRRR members have been know to take knives to boats at the putin, destroying inferior gear. Like the $10 k mart raft with 4 year old kids in it without life jackets, above high water 1/4 mile long class V rapids, which daddy thinks will be fun for pictures of his kiddies. The sheer nerve! The arrogance! The elitism!

jerks, I say. I hear they even put sotar boats in their club logo! What kind of douchenozzle does that? Next, they will probably require a signed letter from Cheryl approving membership application. And a firm promise to sell all inferior boats, like ERRs and Lichens and Monrovias and of course no ladies-only MRS boats allowed.

I guess it's too bad you just can't get on our level! you know, where we have fun when we boat?

try it sometime instead of judging people based on gear or, silliest thing of all, on internet posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.