Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 12-25-2011   #11
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Love Internet judgement.... Ndamukong Suh is 6'3" and over 300, and think he is in Ok shape. Height and weight stats do not tell the whole story.

Being not is Suh shape and a bigger guy I will totally agree that better shape=better paddling and probably an easier learning curve but in no way would preclude someone from kayaking.

There are more boats than ever that fit big guys these days and most manufacturers seem to almost go up to 300 for a top end weight range in their boats.

Boats i would check out in addition to Everest (own and love it) and super hero would be:

JK Superfun
JK Villian L
JK MegaRocker
Pyranha Shiva
Pyranha fusion
LL XP series
LL Stomper
Wavesport Habitat

Pretty much any boat in the volume of 80-90 gallon range will be your best bet. Second the Boatertalk suggestion for some more local input. The more you can demo the better, comfortable at first does not mean comfortable 30 minutes later.

Good luck with the search.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #12
Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks guys, i'll go check out the boatertalk.com forums

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Isn't getting into ww kayaking sort of an exercise program? Kudos to him. Not many people over 40 can't use more exercise and to drop a few pounds. Catboating is a major motivator for me, and it isn't getting any easier. Have fun
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
The Remix XP10 is huge. Not sure of the shape (i.e., round, muscular, obese) of your friend. I'm about the same height and weight measurements and I had to put some padding in the hips of the XP10. The XP10 handles big water great. Also handled Brown's Canyon at 600 cfs really well. Versatile big boat IMO. Last summer, at about 280#, I fit very nicely in the Remix 79. Like a glove. Haven't water tested the boat, but it felt great on dry land.

Not to steal the thread, but I'm headed to Ecuador in a couple of weeks. Got a Stomper 90, a Jefe Grande, a Superhero, and a Villain lined up to possibly try out down there. It's supposed to be a class III/III+ trip. I paddle an old Vortex and the previously mentioned XP10 here in CO. I've been reading with interest all of the input here. I've always had a longer boat (old school refugee) and am interested in feedback on these shorter ones.

Thanks in advance.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #15
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Shorter boats can be a blast - once you get used to going slow and turning on a dime. I'm 6'3"/250# without gear and have been paddling a JK SuperFun and other similar short river play boats for the last 10+ years. I paddled a SuperHero ('11 model) this past summer and it was a hoot - very similar feel to the SuperFun, but more volume, more forgiving on harder runs, and more room. Only downside is it turns too easy at times and that took some getting used to. Try out all four boat choices in EQ if you get the chance, you're sure to find one you prefer.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #16
St. Joseph, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2011
Ok, I'm 5'6", 155 lbs. and 48 years old. Are you going to tell me I'm too old & fat to be doing this?
JD63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #17
Not sure about too old but defiantly way too short. Maybe you can find someone to help get your boat on the roof rack.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #18
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
fluid kayaks have a couple of boats that i think would work, both runner/creekers. the bazooka and the big bang. the dagger nomad may work as well. being a big guy playboating is gonna be difficult, but, boo-hoo-who cares. let the kids play in the park, going out and being on the river is what its about.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #19
St. Joseph, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2011
I load mine on the top of the jeep all by myself, thank you very much.
JD63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #20
Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks guys, he ended up buying the Remix xp10 since he said it felt and fit him the best!

Now i just gotta figure out what boat is gonna suit me the best!?? I really like the Stomper, Remix, and Nomad. I have not yet gotten to see a Mamba in person yet as my dealer sold out of the 2011's and now waiting on their 2012's to come in.

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote