Old 01-09-2006   #1
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Sole DIY Custom Footbeds

Do any of you guys have experience with Sole ( custom foot beds? They are do-it-yourself heat moldable and supposed to work in ski boots, hiking, or whatever you want. Ultra runner poster boy Dean Karnazes, mountaineer Ed Viesturs, Mike Kloser and team, etc. use them. I just ordered some to try in my god awful ski boots. There's a 90 day full money back guarantee, so I figured I will test them out. Anyone else have any experience with them? Here's the review from Outside Mag:

WHAT YOU GET: Replace the insoles in running shoes or hiking, ski, or snowboard boots with Sole's Regular inserts for high performance support. The deep heel cup and stiff arch are married to a shock absorbing platform that molds to your foot.

THE PROCESS: Simply bake your Sole footbeds for two minutes in a 200-degree oven. While they're still warm and malleable, insert them into your shoes, lace-up, and stand, shoulder width apart, for two minutes or until the high-density foam cools and molds to your foot. (If you wear a half size, round up and trim the inserts down to fit.)

THE PAYOFF: I've always been bothered by high arches, weak ankles, and bad knees. Using the Calgary, Alberta, company's inserts, I trained for and ran a marathon without any foot, ankle, or knee pain. Want more proof that these things work? Consider that Nike's ACG Adventure Racing Team uses them - instead of a Swoosh option - in their shoes. - G.D.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #2
Eagle County, Colorado

They cost around $40. I don't have an extra $200 burning a hole in my pocket for the traditional custom ones you get from the ski boot shop.

Old 01-10-2006   #3
My wife got some and we did the heat-em-up thing and put them in her boots. All I can say is she was not impressed with them and quit using them right after she put them in. They are still sitting on the shelf... unreturned for the MB guarantee.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #4
Eagle County, Colorado
Thanks for the info, I just did the heating for mine, and will ski test them this week.
Old 01-16-2006   #5
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
I like my Soles very much ... about as much as my non-modifiable Powerstep inserts, but they are different.
For me, I have high enough arches that maybe I shoud have skipped the oven heating thing and just tried them for a few weeks as is. One thing I noticed is that the thicker ones are thicker than anthing I've ever put in my trail shoes -- they do settle/compress some quite soon, though, so it wasn't really a problem for the bony top of my feet.
The Powersteps are less suppportive in the heel (flatter, less of a cup), but more supportive of the arch and between your arch and your heel -- they were good for me when getting over plantar faciitis, and still nice. Sometime it's good to switch inserts/shoes temporarily for a change of pace so all the pressure isn't always in the same spots on the bottom of your feet.
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #6
Eagle County, Colorado
So far, still pain. I think maybe I just need new boots.