Old 11-06-2012   #11
Paddling Since: 1994
I can fab up whatever you want out of pvc or hypalon. It wouldnt be the cheapest thing around,especially if you want a drysuit zipper on it, but could be done. Send me some measurements and a sketch and I can give you a quote if you would like.

I have a buddy that does his kitchen in nrs koss bags with cut to fit cardboard boxes inside. The boxes do pretty well at protecting stuff given you dont have people stepping/jumping on them. He loves them. They work great, and are easier to carry into camp than boxes. The only complaint I have is that they are kind of a pain to open and surf through compared to a box. They are also of size and shape that may not rig to well in a cat. I envision making you something similar but more rectangle shaped instead of square. More of a PVC dropbag with a rolltop closure and a flap over keep water from pooling.

A drysuit zipper would be a PITA to go in through to bring big things out of unless it was huge (long drysuit zipper=$$$$$) and would be real easy for drunken compadres to trash with sand and aggressive behavior. With a drysuit zipper i would think it would need be an item that stays on the boat to avoid camp catastrophe.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
After I read about the zippered thwart, this is what I dug up.....
RMA: Hyside Thwart Zipper

$180 seems like a lot of bones, but is way more efficient at storage space. Another plus is you wouldn't have to pump as much.

SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #13
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The thwart-bag has always seemed nifty to me, but I wonder how well those zippers hold pressure. I feel like if I'm not pumping up my thwart tight to help hold my toes in, I might as well just have a big drybag there- which I've done on overnight paddle trips. Anybody out there have one, or know from experience how much pressure the zippers can handle?
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #14
Seattle, Washington
that thwart idea would be neat if I was in a raft. efficient, I like that.

I'm not planning on big items like a grill or buckets going in, nor would I play to derig the bag. It would stay in the boat.

Jan seems willing to pursue it so I'm gonna see what it would take. Will post pix if I proceed ....
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #15
P-town, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
This is the bag I bought to go under my seat it has a Ti-Zip zipper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	5295

Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
I find myself doing an awful lot of multidays. Withe carpooling, supporting kayakers, etc, I often find myself wanting to maximize the storage on my small cat, but do not want lots of hard edges and the bulk of shuttle and empty drybox that takes the same amount of space empty as it does full. Home storage is another problem.

Back in the day, we'd use barney bags, or "the big blue bladder bag" the sat in the bow or stern of the raft and took on huge amounts of gear with very little complex rigging.

So -- my question is, has anyone done a hybrid of this kind of drybag/dropbag/drybox kind of thing? My vision is a "drop bag" that goes under my seat. Is glued hypalon, with a drysuit zipper. fully dry, packs small, easy access, no hard edges.

Anyone built one or got photos on know a place to comission one? I see T-ZIPs can now be had at TIZIP Masterseal Drysuit Zipper - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

So, I'm considering trying make one if I can't buy one. Feedback? Cheers!

Paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #16
Seattle, Washington
Nice looking bag, which is it?

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote