Old 03-02-2006   #21
Indian Hills, Colorado
We’ve learned a lot here:

Flow bindings aren’t for everyone, but some people dig them. The foot entry isn’t easy.

Burton has a good warranty program.

FedEx beats UPS for shipping boards.

Mixed reviews on Cloudveil products.

Technine cheap and good thinks one.

Frankenbindings with Burton parts are a good alternative (wish I had thought of this before buying).

All bindings break.

Mixed reviews on the new toe cap design.

BSOE propositions guys at the UPS store, which comes as no surprise.

High back locking is a weak design.

And Steve liked snowboarders until he found his girlfriend fingercuffed by two of them.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #22
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Steve's right everybody! We should all listen to him. And who's the idiot who thought about bringing up gear talk on the gear talk page. Go away, i enjoy reading about other bad asses.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #23

danO, i was wondering who it was who treated my lady like that. i think i spent too much time trying to figure out if i should be riding a 157 wide board or a 159 standard...too bad you and mr. bad ass phillips picked on my lady, "gay ranger" like that - she sure has one mean uppercut though.

can we still say gay ranger here?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #24
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
woh...burton frankenbindings are the shit. I have a pair on my baron: old mission baseplates (2000?), new capstraps, a pair of leather ankle straps from last years p1c and team skybacks from a couple years back. All the baseplate hardware are from the old missions, though, and I didn't bum any of it so I guess yours are a little cooler.

You bring up a good point though, that burton parts are easy to find. actually in the same call that I got the ra for my broken board I asked for some spare binding parts and they sent me a managerie for free..a few ladders, right and left plastic parts for the other side, ankle strap parts. A nice little bc kit so I don't get screwed far from home.

Stevo...what crawled up your ass, bro? You must've landed on a squirrel or something while pulling off some badass freestyle move. And you might want to ask your tele buddies what I ask mine...why the hell do you want to work so hard for your turns? You worked for them on the hike/skin up...quit squat thrusting down the pow. You can get anywhere on a splitboard you can get on teles. Fix the heal and fix the problem. (oh shit)
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #25
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Once again we have a respect issue. Stever I respect you right to say what you will. I also respect your right to skin, ski, tele and generally snow ride. WHAT I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR lame people who chime in their two cents about nothing. Talk about flapping you gumms to hear youself talk. I you do not want to read about "Gay" snowboarding gear, I have a novel idea. Go Away. Do not link to the Buzz. We a community here. I also have another idea, I you are so cool, post a profile letting us know where you are from and you interests. Check you pm's. (you most likely have some hate mail in there) and don't act like a ToolBag in public.

This is a gear forum. I am a gear head. I like to tune my snowboard, change the oil on my Tacoma, pull the carbs out of my Ski-Doo, work on my Westfalia, and rig and re-rig my Superpuma. I have lots of ideas, some good and some really half baked. Other people have ideas that I can use and improve on. They have had experiences with companies that are good and or bad. This knowledge help me become an educated consumer and spend what little money I have after mortgage , car payment, gas, et all... on quality product. If I did not care I would drive a used Yugo, live in cardboard box, ride a morrow, own an arctic cat and date your GF. (sorry, i could not help myself)

That said, Flow and BSOE if you are in my area look me up. I'm sure we would have a fun time.

That was a great sticker...thanks
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #26
Seattle, Washington
Wow Steve, way to rant for no reason. Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Kent, we need to ride one of the passes next time the snow flies. I'll give ya call here soon.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #27
Indian Hills, Colorado
I ended up wth the Salomon SPX55 bindings:

Overall good, not great, but better than the Missions I was using.

Toe cap strap: The salomon can be worn as a cap or traditionally, the cap works nicely for me.
Comfort: Good/Great.
Control: Smooooth and precise at speed, a bit sloppy in the tight technical.
Cam Straps: Probably will break eventually.
Chatter: Deminished.

8 out of 10.

Hope that helps someone.

Old 03-10-2006   #28
Check out these babys!

They are from one of the best known makers of alpine gear Pretty much indestructable.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #29
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
BTW, tele-ing is almost as easy as boarding once you get the groove. The new ski shapes and bindings make it fairly easy and fun. Thats why we've seen such a rebirth. I'm not trying to diss anybody and I don't think I'm trying to make myself seem like a bad ass, I just wan't people to know what experiences I've had with the new gear that I've been using. Its my choice to snowboard and its my choice to ski. I have fun doing both and don't think its neccessary to diss people based on how they wan't to slide. I think Benrodda says it best, this is the gear talk page. . . chances are someone might see what I have to say and decide that they might or might not go with the product I'm talking about. Some of you just need to stop being jerks and stop ripping on people just to rip on them. Like the loveland pass comment. . . your a jerk. Take a walk, steve.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #30
Indian Hills, Colorado
I'll have to give the free-heel a try. This winter I was hiking with my lady after a good dump: Her on tellis, me on snowshoes. Her floating in the top 3-inches of snow. Me knee deep (even with large snowshoes). I was thinkin' "Son of a bitch, she's on to something here!"