Old 11-21-2012   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have 2 SMC's in a NRS pin kit that is about 5 years old. I just pulled them out and they are smooth as butter. But the kit only goes out on mulitdays with our raft, and that is only about once a year. I rig it in a drybag on the water.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #12
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
When my pulleys were stuffed away in a kit, I didn't notice it. It's when I got them out and was hooking them up that I realized they were frozen. Makes me wonder how many of them are out there in z-drag kits and people don't realize they don't turn anymore.
Maybe this is the difference. Even my ball bearing pulleys get a few turns every other week. Even when massive corrosion is happening, just getting things moving helps immensely. I have a few bikes that sit out in the weather. The bikes I ride do just fine, the ones that sit tend to seize up and need more work to stay operational.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #13
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Sounds like SMC Swiftwater pulleys are ok if you keep them in a watertight container between uses and then make sure to keep them moving periodically as well. Basically, those are the same practices you'd do with any bearing you were trying to keep good in a marine environment so I still think that the Swiftwater version buys you nothing.

Couple years ago I started leaving a pulley rigged to each side of my frame so they'd be there in case I flipped or whatever. SMC assured me that the Swiftwater pulleys should be ok in that constant splashing. That was apparently not correct. I'd rather not add having to constantly check and spin my pulleys to the daily list of chores on a river trip.

FWIW, against SMC's recommendation, I am rebuilding my pulleys such that they can be disassembled so that I can either service the bearings by pulling the seals, flushing with solvent, and regreasing or I can replace them when needed. A friend of mine who discovered his pulleys getting tighter was able to disassemble his (Petzl's). It was the same construction as the SMCs but unlike SMC who used red loctite that cannot be easily broken loose, the Petzls apparently used Blue Loctite (or equivalent) that allowed disassembly. Just some observations for people who want to be able to service their equipment.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #14
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
rpludwig, do only the Rescue 3 pulleys eat prussiks, or have you had the same problem with other pulleys?
Would 1mm larger prussik cord solve the problem?

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote