Old 05-15-2007   #1
Davis, California
Smaller or Bigger

Been looking into some used kayaks lately, am eyeing up the jackson fun series. Actually got out the local shop and got into them and fit both the 2Fun and the Fun. question is which would be a better bet for a begining ww paddler (i have been a sea kayaker for a couple year now) I have a roll and brace. I know if i want it more play go smaller etc, but which would be better in terms of overall ease of use/growing into as a paddler?

Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #2
pnw, Washington

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #3
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
dont go to small

i would be carefull of going to small or too big. Comfort is one reason but also if you are to big for the boat then you will not be able to play as well due to sinking a little to far under the water. Also if u are going to be paddling in colorado be mindfull of going to small for performance on a wave .. Back in the southeast i would say go small because a lot of the play is small holes.. But out here when the water is running u are going to be catching waves on the fly . But remember to gear your boat towards what you are paddling the most. And also consider comfort as well as just being the right size for your boat.
sprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #4
Davis, California
well right now it would be California stuff,
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #5
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would add it depends on your attitude. If you are aggressive you could go smaller, knowing you'll get tossed around a bit. If you are a little timid go bigger, you won't be able to throw it around, but you'll be comfortable running pushier stuff.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote