Old 10-30-2011   #11
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Kayaking, especially if you live in Denver, is a two-boat sport. You'll want to have a playboat and a river-running/creeking boat.

Get a playboat first, since it's almost Winter and you'll want it for the pool or Golden PP. I'd suggest getting something that people have heard of and has a good reputation (Kingpin, Allstar/Fun, or Project/EZG). There's probably a reason why nobody chimed in on the Supersonic. It can be difficult to tell the differences between boats by just looking at them and similar looking boats can paddle and roll very differently.

Then, save up some cash and get Dan's H3 to run rivers and creeks in the spring. The H3 is fast, stable, and rolls easily. It would be perfect for Lower Clear Creek or the Ark.

In my opinion, this just isn't a great time of year to buy a used kayak. Lots more used boats will pop-up as Spring approaches. You could also ask around at pool sessions and demo boats at the pool this Winter.

If you're set on getting just one boat, I'd recommend a downriver playboat, like the Fun, EZG, or Fuse.

Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Keep looking. Buy one now or over winter and hot the pool hard.

You should mention your size if you want folks to give you more thumbs up or down on particular models.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #13
chicago, Illinois
you can buy an all-star 07-09 model for $350
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #14

Wetexit, let me know if you are still looking. I am not sure if you are against the forplay, but I think its a great boat! I learned in it. I have one and some gear for cheap! Ph # 303-883-9361 or email
stephengrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #15
Sorry for the 'commercial' insert here but man, I would check out the swap at CKS Paddlefest this spring. I have worked the swap for..umm...a BUNCH of years and am always pretty impressed at the number of decent not-too-old boats that come of of the woodwork for pretty cheap. If you haven't found something by then, check it out...usually a strong variety of options at reasonable prices. Logistics: Sale and Gear Swap | CKS PaddleFest 2012

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote