Old 04-25-2004   #1
skirts are for girls

Not really meaning to insult anyone with subject heading but I am having a hard time adjusting to saying that I wear a skirt. Back in Oz and NZ spray skirts are more commonly called spray decks or "decks" for short. When I refer to my deck being left in the car or at home people look at me blankly. So please if anyone with a silly accent talks about their "deck" just nod politley and say no worries.

bdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah, its kind of funny -- a lot of my kayaker buddies have to reassure themselves by going around saying "real men wear skirts" and stuff like that. I recommend that you start on an educational effort for us North Americans by saying things like "my deck seems like its shrinking with age" or "My deck's kind of itchy, how's yours?" or maybe "don't you hate it when you put your deck away wet and then it really stinks the next time you pull it out?"

If you're fortunate, one day you'll be secure enough to row a real boat on a hot summer day wearing a nice, comfortable sarong and not be hung up about it!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off