Old 01-22-2014   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
sizing question

I've got a sizing question for everyone. My dad has a wavesport diesel 75 that we were given from a friend. I am currently in a 2007 Jackson Star playboat, but I don't have a river-runner/creekboat for the year. I am planning on getting into harder whitewater this year (IV-IV+), and my playboat won't exactly be the best for getting into the harder whitewater. I am 5'6 135 pounds without any gear on. So because of that I am not sure whether or not I can fit into the diesel this coming year. I would like to avoid buying another boat if I can because I don't have much money to buy one and I am still growing. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So the Wavesport web site says the weight range for a Diesel 75 begins at 140 lbs. and you are 135. While you are just outside the lower end of the suggested range, with proper outfitting, aggressive posture, and positive attitude you should be able to paddle this Diesel.

Take time to outfit the boat for you. You probably want the seat moved forward of the neutral position. Make sure the back band, hip pads, and foot bracing are super tight. Try the boat on some class 3 before you get into harder stuff. Catch a thousand eddies, roll it a lot, surf, play, get rad. Don't let the boat get pushed off line, you have to boss it around.

These days people are paddling gigantic high volume creek boats over 90 gallons like the Recon, Shiva, and Karma. You just have to charge.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #3
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
As Tango said take time to outfit the boat well so that it is comfortable and does not feel huge on you, maybe raise the seat a bit. But really you should be fine in the Diesel, its a great boat.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #4
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Great thanks for all of the replies! Any other tips on the outfitting? does any extra foam I can find laying around work for putting in the hip pads? And also how could I raise the seat up higher? Thanks!
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm not sure about the best way to raise the seat, but you will only want to use closed cell foam for your outfitting, otherwise it will turn into a sponge and get rotten.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #6
Silverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Jackson Happy Seat is the way to go for raising the seat. You can go 100 or a little lift, 150 for a bit more, or 200 for max lift. I'm 6'0" 140 and I outfitted a Diesel 80 just for fun. (Got it cheap and use it mainly as a backup/loaner boat.) I use a 200 in that, but a 100 or 150 in everything else. They lock you into your seat beautifully.
"This river don't go to Aintry."
gdtrfb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #7
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm a huge fan of moving the seat forward in the boat and raising my center of gravity as I too am light weight for my size. The easiest way I have found to raise the seat is to get a one inch or so thick cut piece of mini-cell foam from my local paddling shop and cut it to fit on top of what's in the boat. Contact cement works great and when you sit on it as the glue dries it will conform to the mold of the seat. Sculpt as needed! Also, NRS makes the Hot Seat that is peel and stick and already shaped and will raise you up almost an inch.

Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote