Old 04-30-2013   #1
Santa Fe, altered state
sizing AT vs Werner paddle

If I paddle a 197 or 200cm Werner Powerhouse will I want the same size in an AT Play Carbon? (assume I will use for the same things)

I once heard something about how if you paddle x length in Werner sizing you probably want to go longer/shorter in an AT paddle. I can't remember whether it was longer or shorter! Also, would love to hear from someone who actually has experience switching between the two.

Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
196 is good size for AT. I paddle the same powerhouse and that's what I used.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
From my experience AT paddles fall in between the sizes of Werner. But you can shift right over from one to the other without much of an issue.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #4
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
From my experience AT paddles fall in between the sizes of Werner. But you can shift right over from one to the other without much of an issue.
I have trouble switching paddles due to the nuance of how each feels, but I get over it.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #5
Ft Collins, Colorado
I have both AT and Werner, and to me they feel quite different. My impression is that the Werner is the more durable paddle, but the AT 'fits' me better. Both are the same length, but the angle of the bends in the shaft is different, and the distance between the bends is different. I get blisters from the Werner that I don't get with the AT. My AT is about worn out, and I'll most likely end up selling my nearly-new Werner and get another AT.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #6
The Bitterroot, Montana
I love the way the AT feels. I don't think you will find many people arguing that they are more durable than Werner, but you will find many people (like me) that can't seem to kick the AT habit. I have only broken one AT and afterwards I bought a Werner DD (bent) and after paddling it for about a week I sold it to a friend and went out and bought a new AT. The grip and grip width on the AT just feels right. Also, AT's tend to have a bit more flex and are thus a little easier on your wrists, which for me is nice after 12+ years of rock climbing and now drop starting chainsaws all day at work.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #7
Commercial Paleontology

The difference in lenght between Werner & AT is not enough for you to worry about..Just decide if you want to be closer to the Werner 197 or 200. If you are getting it mainly for playboating then the AT196... if for river running/creeking probably go the next AT size up..The AT undoubtbly feels much better than a Werner bentshaft..They are very ergonomic & paddle smooth as silk to me....Love their feel...But that being said I'm a big guy & I can't seem to keep an AT for very long..I have not tried their newer pro model which is suppose to be stronger... but the price Whew!......Werner generally will outlast the AT especially the fiberglass..I have never broken one of them but just wear them down to a Q-Tip then give it to some lighter weight person who doesn't need as much surface paddle area..I do have to say I have broken Werners Carbon paddles too....But I continue with a Werner straight shaft Carbon for quite a while now....kinda old school I suppose but I like being able to shift my hands wherever I please....I do feel AT has better customer service when it comes to their paddles..but that is just based on my personal experience of which both companies have heard from me multiple times
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #8
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The other major difference between the AT and the Werners is the shape of the blade, even with the same surface area. The Werner is more square, the AT more elongated. You'll adapt to both, but the subtle differences make for time to work into your style.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote