Old 03-15-2010   #1
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Shredder, Rocker, Big Rocker?s

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a Shredder and seeking some experienced advice. After speaking with Tom Love at A.I. I'm deciding between a Rocker and Big Rocker model.
I weigh 175 and most any paddling partner would be that or less. I'll mostly use the boat for day trips on all sorts of water from class 3 to 5 AND the occasional lightweight self-support overnighter.

Should I go with the Big Rocker so I'll be able to better haul a couple dry bags for the occasional overnighter. Would there be any performance drawbacks to having the Big Rocker over the Rocker even though I won't always need the extra floatation?

Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
the shorter the rocker the less water contact you have, you will spin faster. what are the mesurments of both boats? water line length mostly will be a factor. i have paddled the shreder in its first generation and loved it for r2 not to much room for gear but we did ok. great boat imo

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #3
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
choose the Rocker or the Villain
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #4
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post

Or read the post and figure out it has nothing to do with kayaks, but you do seem to like recommending the same boats over and over again.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #5
B.F.E., Wyoming
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
Please stop the Jackson SPAM!

Leave that in your Jackson post so we don't have to listen to the endless Jackson commercials every where else.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would probably go with the big rocker. Many play cats are moving to bigger tubes for running the hard stuff. There is only a negligible difference in weight between the models and the big rocker gives you a few more options for carrying gear and accommodating heavier paddling partners. I believe that the big rocker is also marginally longer and wider, but only by a few inches - probably not a big deal unless you have some specific super tight runs in mind.

I have the straight tube model - not because of any reason other than I got a good deal on it. If I were buying new I would have gotten a big rocker - but at 6'5" and 210 lbs my size is a driving factor. Personally I also like having my feet lower, so a bigger tube creates a taller seat, and makes me feel more balanced - but again my size affects this feeling.

One final comment - the Shredder brochure I have lists the carrying capacity for the normal rocker as 400 lbs (sadly it doesn't list capacities for the other models). If you weight 175, plus 10 pounds of PFD, helmet, and paddling clothes your 185. Add another person at that size for 370. Than add in a rescue/pin/first aid/pump/patch materials for about 20 lbs. Now you are at 390 before any other gear - like a cooler for beer or 30-40 lbs per person for an overnighter. With 10 lbs of beer and 60 lbs of camping gear you're 60lbs over the weight recommendation for the regular rocker.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #7
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks for the good info- I just got a Shredder brochure today and the 400lb max for a rocker is limiting. It helps to think about the weight break down of the few extras that are always on the boat:repair, wrap kit, extra paddles, water...
I'm veering towards the Big Rocker.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #8
Sharpsburg, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1973
Big tube - big rocker - I live in the East and have owned my Shredder for ~ 5 years. We take it down tight runs like the Upper Yough but also on big water runs like the Upper Gauley.

I have taken it down the Grand Canyon twice and am heading back that way in June. Did great both times. Last time we were in Colorado we did a high water Brown's Canyon run + the Animas Town Run.

Anyway the big tubes/big rocker won't limit you. It does well on small tight creeks but also does well in big water. We have weighted over 400 lbs when we have 2 adults + gear (or two adults + small child + small child's kayak on the back) - we have also paddled it when the weight was way under 400 (with an adult and a small child paddling) - it has done well all of the times.

My profile photo is from a few years ago - Shenandoah River WVA with our 5 YO on the floor of the Shredder.

yakmom_8 is offline   Reply With Quote