Old 09-13-2010   #1
Fishers, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2010
Should my legs be able to go straight in my kayak?

Might sound silly, but when i sit in my playboat should my legs be able to fully extend or should they be bent with my feet at the end of the front of my boat?

bk282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
Your knees are vital in controlling your boat. They should be wedged into the top of the boat around the front of the cockpit. Got a dealer near you?

"With a wonder and a wild desire..." -Flogging Molly
feats of strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #3
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I always say that your boat should fit like your ski boots, but you probably don't have or need ski boots in Indiana. Actually do you have or need a kayak in Indiana? Kidding aside, you should not be able to staighten your legs in your kayak, but they should be bent so that your knees are touching the sides of the kayak and you should be fitting in this position just tight enough to not be cramped or numb.
Now you will be one with your kayak and be half fish, half human and move wih the water as one.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #4
Fishers, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2010
haha trust me Jeff i know Indiana simply sucks. We actually do though in fact have several ski and snowboard places, but only my sister skis in the family. As for why the hell i got a kayak in Indiana is because I'm looking for a fun new sport, i have family in Arizona and Colorado, and friends in Georgia so my summers will be busy with kayak trips. Also i plan on taking a trip this spring to a kayak instruction camp in North Carolina. Thank you for the help though.
bk282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #5
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Think of the kayak as your new lower body. Any slop between your head and your new legs will be punished by the river gods. =)
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #6
pnw, Washington
playboat? bent, not straight
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Make a trip from Fishers down to Bloomington and talk to some of the people at IU Outdoor Adventures. I know they do a lot of kayak trips and could help you outfit your boat.
Vargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #8
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I guess you should at least have a reason for the no room in front everybody is suggesting. Think about cartwheels, stalls, throwing ends etc...The more "room" in front or back you have the more bouyant resistance force to get that end under water you'll have. Which is why you hear get as small of a playboat as you can cram into.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote