Old 05-18-2012   #1
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
should i keep this boat?

I'm a beginner kayaker making slow progress. I can roll, not bombproof but I dont really swim anymore, might take a few tries sometimes. I'm paddling a LiquidLogic CR250. My thoughts when buying it were, i wanna learn to surf and still run the river. Also it was a leftover from the previous year and i got a good deal. I know it would be easier to learn in a bigger boat, but I figure if i learn in my CR I'll be a better paddler in the long run. I thought I'd at least give it one more season, since i didnt really get out much on the water until last year. I mostly run the upper C right now, I'm a raft guide there and on Clear Creek. I feel like if I DO get a bigger boat, I might as well ditch the CR and get a play boat for surfing/playing.

So what are your thoughts? should I stick it out and wait to get a bigger boat when my skills are up and I want to run bigger water? Or should i make learning easier and get myself a bigger boat?

Thanks for reading!

MountainManJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That boat will be fine for learning on Upper C. save your $ and figure out what you really want. you don't need a bigger boat to facilitate learning, if anything, that would slow your learning down.

AS long as you're relatively comfy in it, just keep it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I learned to paddle in a Mr. Clean, what a great boat that was....

I think you should keep it and playboat a bunch. Learn to cartwheel and wavewheel. Practice bow stalls in the flat water and try catching tough eddies. Go to bv and paddle their park if the ark is over 700.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #4
norcal, California
Here's what I think about my CR125.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #5
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
thanks for the reccomendations! I'll stick it out. definitely want to work on bow stalls/cartwheels. haven't tried too hard yet but so far initiating bow/stern isn't going too well. I've watched a couple videos, and I'm ready to give it another go. definitely need to be more on edge, and get a better forward paddle to get the bow up for the double pump. I have heard that the CR's higher volume makes it a little tricky to do this kind of stuff, but I've seen it done in alot bigger boats than mine so i guess its just cowboy up and practice practice practice.

thanks again,
MountainManJake is offline   Reply With Quote