Old 05-01-2009   #1
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Sevylor SVX1 Questions.

So I have my SVX1 and love it!

I have yet to take the kayak on any overnight trips and was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to pack the kayak with a full size dry bag?

Also does anyone have experience with either the thigh straps or the spray skirt for the kayak?

AJ_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
glad to hear you like it. ive had an SVX1 for two years now and i absolutely love it.

i am not sure what the "spray skirt" that you mentioned, but the thigh straps are pretty cool. i havent got them for my Sevy, but a buddy of mine also happens to own an SVX [the two man version] and he has them and likes them a bunch. i bet with some practice you could roll that thing pretty easy. i dont like them because if i flip in our small technical rivers here in CO i want to be seperated from my craft and not get caught in the straps but thats just my opinion.

as far as carrying it, i got an NRS Sherpa kayak backpack for mine that works great. it looks goofy at first because the SVX has that hard plastic keel running down the hull, but that is easily fixed. i took a piece of semi-tough foam [it was for rooftop cargo bars] and cut a long line down one side of it, about 1/3 of the way through the foam. i then wedge this onto the plastic keel, and it creates a flat, soft way of keeping the boat in place against the flat of the backpack.

dont let people getcha down either, the SVX kicks ass. people will rag on you because A) its a ducky, and B) its not a $2,000 AIRE ducky. Well, duckies are a blast, and for those of us that cant spend two g's on a boat, this works wonders!

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #3
I like my SVX1 too. Thigh straps are a must for class III water.

The problem I found with the SVX was that once you put 200 lbs in it, it sits low and water comes in. After a wave, the water drains very slowly. So, if you pack gear, be careful of the weight.

I think it's a great ducky for day trips, but I wonder about overnight trips.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #4
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I have never seen the spray skirt online or in a store but on the side of my bag for the kayak it says to look for a spay skirt in the feature and i got my boat almost 2 years ago.
AJ_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I too have SVX ducky. I would love it if it wasn't such a piece of crap and I didn't have to repair after every trip down the river. I think the design was fantastic with the rigid floor. It handles much better than other duckies I have paddled. The thigh straps are a must. It is really easy for me to pop out of them in the event of a roll over.
al.burpee is offline   Reply With Quote