Old 05-31-2013   #1
Cold Springs, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1995
Sevylor question

First let me start by saying hi all. This is my first post.

I have a gear question so to speak, on a Sevylor Tahiti. I own a OG k79 and a over inflated (on several occasions) Rogue.

I am looking to replace the rogue and retire it for parts/patch material. In doing my search I found a couple Tahiti's that "look" a little better made overseas. the one in particular that caught my eye, though their are a couple that look like I should have them... is a 2 seat neon green/grey with carry handles fore and aft and apparently folds up in to it's self by rolling it into the spray deck and it then becomes a back pack. I'm appealed by this model because the seats are buckled in and it does the back pack roll.

note: I don't care about it being a back pack I just view that as it rolls up well enough to be that compact. I had to google this but its 315CM witch means about 10'4" which is what the ones here in the states are.

I did search for Sevylor Tahiti's by post but couldn't find my answer.

Now what I need help with is I can't find them for sale here in the states. seems to be mostly sold in Europe.

Does anyone of a know a supplier that may have it.

To find it, a google image search of : Sevylor Tahiti - yields it as a result in several images (remember NEON green). google web wont bring it up that I've found unless search is altered for the model, color, etc.

Hey Guys/Gals I really appreciate allowing me to join this fine community of like minded individuals, look forward to hearing you.

RigthSideWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #2
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I don't want to burst your bubble here,or at the risk of sounding rude, but no self respecting Buzzard would admit to using a Sevylor. They are commonly referred to here as pool toys. From the sound of your post and the use of the term " here in the states" may I ask where you hail from?
As far as inflatable kayaks go, i bought an Aire Tomcat tandem last year and love it. But depending on where you're boating, a Tahiti Sevylor may work. They're just not rugged enough for most of the rivers out west.

snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #3
Cold Springs, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1995
Born and raised in Reno, NV as well as Medford OR. Grew up on the Rogue where there are thousands of Tahiti's users. Some better than others admittedly. Understandable about Sevylor I would not ride in 95% of there stock but as mentioned in OG post I still have my original K79 from the late 90's (I even got it used) and I raft the rogue annually in it, in the same one I have used for a decade +, on the ROGUE RIVER. Anyone that rafts the Rogue knows Tahiti's go down it. Whether that's good, bad or in between is not in discussion. I have also had it down Truckee, and now the Carson. Both stupidly rocky in areas.

I grew up in a Tahiti, literally because you could not get me off the water (anything to get away from the broken home) I can handle it well, I can navigate it great, and I have no fear of it letting me down.

Weather anyone wants to admit it or not, because if it's brand name, it is still an IK there are always better companies to choose from for just about everything in our daily lives. I like the Sevylor It' s just personal preference, I'm not going to try to sell you guys on crossing over to the " Pool toys side" I just hoped someone could me help with my question of trying to find what I want to float in.

No one has to condone it, you don't have to respect it, you don't even have to like it. But in that same respect I have not once suggested what you guys should float in. because I don't care what you spend the money you work for, on what you want. I actually was referred here by boaters who praised the site in my ear for 15 minutes telling me how great it was and how "they" would help me with my question. I'm just a guy asking strangers for help.

All that said I stumbled across the one I asked about in OG post and want to try it out," looks" stronger and better made than the dark green Tahiti sold everywhere in the states just need to know where to buy it. Don't much care if you guys would float it, don't much care if you like it, it aint for you. Its for me. If I wanted to debate manufacturers I would have posted in a different sub forum, now I've spent 10 mins. of my life defending an opinion.... I'll never get that back...

I got side tracked and sort of flew off the handle, My apologies, I'm a cool dude IMO and I like what I like. No reason we cant get along because of that?
RigthSideWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I think snakester was probably just trying to explain why you weren't getting any responses. Hopefully someone has some information which is helpful to you. There are a lot of good IK's out there and when you are replacing one is a good time to consider an upgrade. Just food for thought. With the way manufacturing quality has gone in the last 20+ years with imported goods (in general) you may have a hard time getting the same durability out of a new sevylor than old. Some things just aren't built like they used to be.....
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
maybe look at this way,rightsidewrong... if you walked into some higher end,music/ musical instrument store and asked where to buy some plastic kazoos for a party you were going to throw then the odds are they won't have a clue. same here.

love'em or hate'em on the buzz, everyone here is pretty into being on the river and has a very healthy respect for what those rivers can do to gear and people... destroying both, in a blink of an eye. so people tend to have the real deal gear here.

a good thread to see what some of the inflatable types use here... spoiler....not too many sevylors in it.

also, realize, you get some flack because most have been in positions where we have to bail out, lend aid, perform rescues on the unprepared folks who hit the rivers without proper gear, respect or training.

Tahiti away, but i agree, to look at upgrading. hyside, nrs, aire, maravia are all good IK makers and ultimately the better value over the long haul too. check out here,NRS' site,craiglist for used ones,ect.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #6
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
My buddy just found a nrs outlaw 12.5' used twice for 600$ with a pump. There was a Linx 2 for 500$ in the swap here on the buzz not long ago. There are some deals out there if you keep your eye out. Run what you like, folks have run about everything on a paco pad. Jack makes pretty bomber sleeping pads though.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #7
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
hell I own 5 K79sb's - taken down the rogue, salmon, payette, boise. my oldest is 10 years old, and the newest is like 6 years old I think. I've never had to patch any of them and had loads of fun in them. don't know anything about the newer eruro models. but I like the old tried and true orange torpedo's OTT wouldnt be where they are today without them. but even they've switched to Sotar. you can still have tons of fun in the old k79's though. the next closest thing to them on the market is Sea eagle's 330 (same exact design as the rogue) little heavier fabric though.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #8
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I had a Sevylor, for $200 it was great, It's been down the Rogue, Umpqua, various creeks, Browns, Animas at 7k, San Juan, etc... Not the best think out there, but I found it worth every penny. I soon got a real 'raft' but the Sevylor what hooked me on rivers.

People hate to see others have fun, its to bad.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #9
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
look for the sevylor x1. if you can find one, grab it. i got to paddle one a few years back. pretty good construction. for a pool toy that is.
just cave and get yourself a tomcat. they sell new for like 600. worth every penny.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote