Old 05-26-2004   #1
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
Seven2 Iso thoughts

I'm looking for a new paddle and I noticed that the seven2 iso's are only $109! I'm having trouble convincing myself that I need to get a paddle that's 250+ when I can get this one so cheap. My question is, how do they perform? I've heard people don't really like the blade shape.

Thanks for the input,

The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #2
I started with a Seven2.

I bought a Seven2 as my first paddle because I was having trouble with my paddle positions as a beginner and I thought the grips would force me to hold the paddle at the correct angle during rolls.
As a beginner in rapids, I had to slide my hand out over the blade after I was upside down and set-up, to see if the blade was flat before I continued with my roll.
The Seven2 grips did help with my roll setup, but I never figured out how to use the paddle without getting blisters.
I know others with the blister problem, but I also know others who love the paddle.
I switched to a Zen WaterStick last season and I strongly prefer the Waterstick. More comfortable and a lot more power. (True bent shafts also help with the roll setup paddle angle of course.)

When you are paddling, don't hesitate to ask others to let you try their paddles.
I like to trade with people to see the differences.
I have developed a real preference for a light paddle with strong pulling blades. I've noticed that some paddles I have tried are surprisingly heavy, but I may have become spolied by the feather weight of the Waterstick Zen.
I'll be adding a lengthy Paddle Commentary Entry on the kayaking section of Savage Snow this summer.

Dan Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #3
I've had a seven2 for over 2 years now. I bought it for $140.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Never had a problem rolling with it, I do get blisters after a long day of paddling but I think it would be difficult to find someone who didn't.

My only initial concern was the the glue for the grips becoming unstuck. I've read that other folks have had that problem. Mine have been solid. Seven2 had some initial problems in the beginning but it seems like they've been corrected now.

For the cost, performance, and weight its a good deal. Plus, there is no way I can justify the need for a $300 paddle. ouch.
yarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004   #4
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado

If you don't mind paddling with a rubber band, I'm sure they're great paddles.

I've paddled the seven2, werner, & waterstick, and the werner & waterstick ARE worth the money. If you're never going to paddle anything challenging, it doesn't matter, but you get more out of each stroke with a better paddle.

My friend just replaced his seven2 (after losing it) with a werner, & it was the best thing he could have done (losing it that is!).

I agree with Dan, I paddle a Zen, & my spare is a karma. both great paddles.

my 2 cents
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #5
pnw, Washington
You gotta ask yourself, why are they so cheap. I tried it, didnt like it. Sometimes you get what you pay for, Waterstick, AT, great paddles. Pick one you like and go for it. I use the Waterstick.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #6
looking buisy
yah, I agree with the last 2 post. you get what you pay for. I tried the seven2 once,and hated it. you can get a nice AT bent shaft for 220 it's worth the money,but if your just starting out count on loosing your first couple paddles.
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To be blunt, Seven2's plastic blade version sucks. I haven't tried the all carbon fiber version. I started out kayaking with a Seven2 and after breaking the blade on it twice in the first two months, I returned it a 2nd time for store credit and got a Werner. I have also been in other kayaking stores twice now and seen a broken Seven2 behind the counter.

Having worked at a climbing gear manufacturer before, I don't like to talk negative about someone's product, but I also know that straight customer feedback will eventually build a better product. I let Seven2's warranty department know my boating situation both times it broke and that it was on class III water (lower-Clear Creek. . .not hair).
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #8
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
I've seen it all...

Behind my desk as I type. I have a broken Seven2 ISO, AT2-E, Werner Bent, 2 Waterstick Karmas, a Waterstick Zen, and a broken Aqua Bound Aluminum... All paddles can break, and like it or not it almost always cames down to user error.

You do NOT always get what you pay for. When you pay more for a paddle- your paying more for the feel or performance and your paying for higher grade lighter materials. You are NOT always paying for more strength. In fact I'll put the $95 Aluminum Aqua Bound up against a $425 carbon Werner Double Diamond any of the week for sheer stength.

The feeling your get when paddling with a high end paddle is incredible. The instant transfer of energy, the rebound of the blade, and the smoothness of each stroke is what your paying for when you dish out the big bucks.

When you buy a Seven2 paddle, your buying it becuase of the weight of the paddle, the ergonomic hand grips, and low price. That's it. The ISO paddle has some drawbacks as well. The paddle tends to be hard to recover if you take a swim (result of low float volume= keeping the weight and cost down), it tends to feel soft or spongy (thin carbon shaft and soft plastic blades), and may cause blisters (side effect of tacky rubber grips- the same tacky rubber grips that make it so easy to hold onto).

The real deal is to take a step back from the paddle rack and take a long look at yourself. How hard are you on gear? Where do you paddle most? And what is going to fit into your price range?

Here's a couple of examples:

Female paddler 5'3" 125 lbs 25 yrs, new to the sport, paddles mostly Filter Plant, Grizley Creek, and Deckers. ( Seven2 ISO, or Aqua Bound FG-188-191cm-$110-$135)

Male paddler 6' 185 lbs 27 yrs, aggressive paddler loves big tricks and tight creeks, paddles over 80 days a year. Paddles Gore, Oh Be Joyful, Upper Animas, West Fork Clear Creek... (Werner Bent, AT4, Waterstick Zen- Looking for Carbon stiff and strong- 194-197cm- $229- $333)
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #9

I will never buy another seven two paddle. From the paddle breaking to the owners of the company... No thanks. But thats just my opinion..
Bachatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #10
I've broken......

.....2 Waterstick Zens, a Karma, Lost my Titanium Bent shaft waterstick (custom made) on a big water class 5 NW creek.....and now I paddle a Seven2 Alpha series. I've heard a lot of smack about Seven2's but I love them! I paddle hard class 5 and play in the NW USA. The Airidium should be even more durable. As far as the Iso....the blades have a lot of flex but as a cheap beginner's awesome! The flexy blades will give you a little feedback while learning to roll and paddle, when you're ready to get a higher performance paddle, keep the Iso for a spare. I liked the Waterstick powerblades but they no longer make them....The Seven2 blades are WAY smoother than the waterstick blades (even the revolution series) on draws and I like the snappiness of the small carbon fiber shaft....I think the shaft is stronger and lighter than a lot of other paddles due to the decreased diameter. The grips ROCK! they put you at a very ergonomically advantageous angle....might be a little rough on the skin at first but you quickly adapt. There's no problem with balance because the shaft isn't bent, the grips put your wrists at the angle of a bent shaft paddle without distorting the shaft whatsoever. I'd say for $110, the Iso is a GREAT deal, the Airidium and Alpha series are right up there with all the rest of the high end paddles. There are some really great paddlers out there that swear by Seven2. I'm a recent convert and I trust them on both big water class 5 and the steeper low-volume summer stuff we have around here....and I'm not affiliated with Seven2. All companies have problems with breakage, I have personally seen paddles from EVERY manufacturer break over the last 8 years....I've broken a few myself
Portland, OR

tim is offline   Reply With Quote