Old 04-09-2009   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Seven 2 paddles

Anyone use them? What did you like or didn't like about the paddle?

colsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #2
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Buyer beware!!!!

Don't waste your money. It will either break or sink.

Buy a Werner or AT paddle if you are looking for an ergonomic paddle.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yeah I have an AT paddle now...just curious about the helio paddle.
colsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #4
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

I have to disagree about the seven2 helio. I think they are awesome.

Here is the deal a few years ago they had absolutely horrid customer service issues. Especially on the high end stuff. The had some issues I think primarily related to the paddle blades delaminating. The left a ton of people hanging. Don worked at a shop and had to deal with that mess continually, I cant blame him for his response.

Personally in 6 years I have had 3. My first one lasted about a week. I returned it because the blade delaminated I returned it. My third one lasted 4 1/2 hard seasons using it for both park and play in cement parks (which is really hard on paddles) river running, and the occasional creek. In order to protect the blade I put a thin rim rubber protectant around the blade. I feel this added to the longevity of the paddle significantly.

I finally broke the blade while trying to learn an entry move into a hole (a back deck roll, as your boat bounces off the pile). While doing the move I caught the blade upstream against the rock that made the hole, it was too shallow. Its hard to explain but lets just say that the paddle was not designed to handle that kind of impact. I feel fairly certain that a 4 year old AT would have had a tough time in that situation as well. Additionally I was lucky that I broke the blade and not my shoulder.

I called Seven2 to see if the blade could be replaced. They said because of the way that the carbon fiber is used that it would not be worthwhile. They recommended that I buy a newer seven2 and then when the new helio came out I could trade up. I never traded up.

What I do like about the paddle is the how the grip works. I never really liked how the bent shafts felt in my hand. The whole airpocket thing is kinda gimmicky. Really the coolest feature is the grips. Plus it fits on a carabiner well. The weight comparison between the seven2 line and the ATs or werner is pretty insignificant as well. The seven2 looks like it should be lighter but its not.

Hope this helps,

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I had a Seven2 Helio a couple years ago for about 3 weeks....luckily I won it at an I didn't worry about it too much.

I do have to say that I LOVED the way it paddled, it felt great in my hands and through the water. I wish I still had it because I would use it for river running....but that's about it. I broke it in the park....big shot....BUT, I've busted my AT3 MUCH harder many many many times and it's still going strong.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #6
Professional Transient, See above.
Used a seven2 blade while working in South America a few years back. I wasn't used to it so much, but it did the job fine. Never broke or sank that I recall (never let it get away from me). I thought the white blades made it look cool. I prefer Werner blades more, but it's just what I'm used to.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #7
I love my Seven2 paddles. I did go through a rough patch a few years ago with breaking them and moved on to Werner. And no doubt the Werner paddles are great, but the feel of the Seven2 is just to addicting. I really can not say enough good things about the performance of them. And the new one I have seems very durable, and has never giving me anything to worry about.

KenDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote