Old 05-01-2013   #1
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Self support kayak dry bags

First time going for self support kayak run. Does anyone have a preferred dry bag system? Are watershed futa floats worth the money?

boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #2
Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
I really like the old CKS Bruneau bags.

AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #3
BZN, Montana
Don't have a futa but I do own a watershed and I don't plan on owning any other dry bags any time soon. Well worth the money in my opinion. How many days are you doing and what kind of weather?
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #4
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Futa stow floats

Futa stow floats will keep your gear dry. I have done over 20 overnight trips with mine and have never had an issue with something getting wet. That makes them worth the money.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #5
Wheeler, Oregon
5 days in late may, but would like to make any new purchases versatile for any time of year. I can always fart out extra air. Have a few medium sized Nrs bags already. Got a jefe grande if it makes a difference.
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Watershed bags are the best out there imo, but they are also a little more pricey. I personally use a variety of dry bags from 3 different manufacturers. It can take a little bit to get your packing dialed in, and I prefer to have a variety of sizes and materials for packing different loads depending on the weather and time of year I am self supporting.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My overnighter set up is two watershed futa bags for in the stern, and one watershed ocoee duffel for behind the seat. Its a great set up and I love it. I typically keep heavy stuff, rescue kit, lunch and day stuff in the ocoee... keeps the weight close to the center of the boat. I put ligher stuff in the bottom of the futas (sleeping bag, clothes etc). My experience is that the watersheds are bomber, and the zipper is 100% dry. I think watershed is worth the money, but then again, my personal opinion is that I would rather pay a higher price for top quality than save a couple bucks for a bit lower quality. If you are on a budget, cheaper round drybags would work fine. Of course there are lots of opinions and multiple ways to do it. Some folks like to get 3-4 smaller standard round bottom dry bags, and do just fine with them. Key is to not get too large a diameter bag, or you will have a hell of a time getting it in your stern.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #8
Jenks, Oklahoma

I have the watershed futa bag and it is indeed bomber. But too small for the gear I carry for extended self support kayak trips. I do use mine for day trips.

My bags of choice are the wildwasser (prijon) units. I have two of both sizes. The large go in the stern and the small up front. This setup works for 5 day kayak self support Salt River AZ trips with ease. These units are typical German quality to the max. Had mine for years and lots of use and they are still like new. You get two wildwassers for one watershed.

Both are quality products. Take your choice.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I use 2 20L SeaLine Kodiak drybags. They're light, cheap, have a little window, and a one way valve that are nice features. I took a swim with them this year, and one of the bags leaked a little bit of water, which isn't super confidence inspiring. I haven't investigated it, but I suspect it's because they're getting fairly old and have worn some pinholes. I have a smaller Watershed bag and have seen people with the Futa bags and would feel super confident that those things will keep your gear dry in almost any situation. The only reason not to get them is the cost and a small amount of additional weight over less beefy dry bags. I may pick up a pair in the future as it's nice to know your overnight gear will stay 100% dry in the event of a swim or pin.

Was just looking, my SeaLine bags are 7 oz each. The Futa is 28 oz, so there is a significant weight difference, almost 1.5# for the pair.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I had the wildwasser stow bags for a couple of years, and they got brittle around the seams / edges of the bag and they started leaking. I was dissappointed in the wildwasser material. Watershed material is superior in my opinion and experience.

Watersheds are heavier, but they are more bomber too. An extra lb for 100% gauranteed dry is worth the weight. My beef with the roll top dry bags is that every one I have had has allowed a little moisture in at the top of the bag, never had one that was 100% dry.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote