Old 07-10-2010   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My Hyside needs to be pumped daily, but it's had several commercial seasons and a lot of private boating in its life. It has pinholes galore. Some pressure release valves also leak slowly even when they shouldn't, splash some water on the valve and see if little air bubbles are coming out. If the floor is bomber a leaky PRV is likely partially to blame, and rippnskier description of the heat cycle of air is probably the rest.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #12
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I think my Hyside was built in 1979. It is tougher than hell, and I too have to pump the floor up after a chilly night. I thought if I changed out my military valve it would solve the problem. Needless to say, I just bought a better handpump.

" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #13
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Floor pressure

I also have an old Hyside, Mine is a 91'. The tubes blow up and hold pressure all day. The floor blows up and holds pressure for the day. Though it always seems to need some pumpin' in the morning. Where as the tubes stay hard. I don't have any leaks in it except for the relief valve. By the time it stops letting out pressure I think I loose alot.???
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #14
Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
You can always get a big bucket of water, add a butt load of dish soap and with the floor freshly pumped up rub the soapy water over the top and bottom of the floor with a rag. then look for bubbles. I think you might be able to get a higher pressure prv but the cleaning method has always worked just fine
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #15
Centennial, Colorado
Can anyone tell me me if there's supposed to be a rubber washer of some kind between the valve and the hypalon? Should I just try tightening it really hard?
curtisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #16
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by 1whitewattafoo View Post
. I think you might be able to get a higher pressure prv but the cleaning method has always worked just fine
This wouldn't be a good idea as the PRV is such a critical component of preventing blown I-beams. I think you can actually adjust the Leafield PRV to leak at different pressures anyway by rotating the little flat disk in the bottom using something like a paper clip to make it turn. If in doubt, put some water in it and look for bubbles, if you see them and the floor's softer than you like or whatever the max PSI should be, clean it out or replace it. If its not the PRV, then check the SB floor for leaks with soapy water. There's also a good chance a leak may be coming from around the PRV rather than the PRV leaking itself. Get a valve wrench and crank it down pretty well after cleaning all surfaces involved.

As for the older Hysides, from what I understand, the brand was the SunRunner in the old days (early 80s?). Kjirsten's (TakeMeToTheRiver) got an old one and can talk about their quality - I think she's pretty happy with it.

ADMIN NOTE - this and the other floor pressure post are being merged and stuck into "gear talk" because its all relevant to the same stuff and is about our gear. - AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #17
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by curtisj View Post
Well I got it off (PRV) no problem with a home made wrench.
So I have the valve, then the hypalon, then the nut in the floor. Are there no rubber washers or anything?
I would think it would need rubber washers but it has never leaked until now.

If there was never a rubber washer present, and it didn't leak until recently, you probably don't need a rubber washer....
If the PRV came apart easily with a home made wrench, I'm betting it was just loose in the first place.
Buy a valve wrench (they're cheap) and tighten the heck out of it. You'll need the wrench again some day if you stay in rafting.
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #18
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by curtisj View Post
Can anyone tell me me if there's supposed to be a rubber washer of some kind between the valve and the hypalon? Should I just try tightening it really hard?
There is no rubber gasket. It needs to be tight....but not to the point you twist or damage the material. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and try using some 303 to help seal it.....a proper wrench is a must.

FWIW.... leaking floor valves are very common. Most often the thing starts leaking when you over inflate it and unseat the valve.....thus allowing sand and grit to makes it's way in between the mating surfaces as it bleeds off excess pressure. The Green and Colorado are especially prone to putting silt in between things like this. I have 5 or 6 valves that I keep taking apart and cleaning. They are not that hard to screw apart....but be careful....the threads are just plastic. (I'm talking about taking apart the innards of the valve.....not taking the valve out of the boat.)

Whenever I go on a multi day trip, I make especially sure my relief valve is cleaned and/or recently replaced. I also am in the habbit of not pumping the floor up real hard........believe it or not......a soft floor tracks better than a hard floor.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #19
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Why is the a gasket on one valve and not the other?
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #20
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Dang, I just discovered yesterday our PRV leaks (from within, not around) and so I suppose I should remove and clean it out. I'd like to have an idea of the innards or process before I do this, and thought I knew of a tutorial, but can't find anything. I thought NRS had something on their repair website, but it seems not.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote