Old 05-08-2016   #1
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sea Eagle 380x

I am looking for a 2 person inflatable kayak to use mainly for fishing the saltwater along the Texas coast around Rockport. Not going to be paddling way out or getting into crazy water. I need something that I can deflate and jam in the back of the Subaru for traveling long distances. Just planning to spend a few weeks doing this in the winter. I am an Aire raft guy, but have no experience with kayaks other than a couple of sit on top hard boat tourist excursions. Does anyone have experience with the Sea Eagle 380x? It seems to offer quite a few features for the money (around $1k). Upgrading to higher seats and better paddles is part of their offer along with a warranty. Thanks for any insight that is offered.

windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016   #2
Fraser, Colorado
One method of raising a ducky seat that can save you some $ is sitting on a throw cushion. Just make sure your seat back is high enough.

Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016   #3
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Probably be good for that. Decent all around boats as a manufacturer. Not a fan of theirs for whitewater, but that is not your intended use. Be sure to get the skegs. Inflatable kayaks are notoriously lousy on flat water without one.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016   #4
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
They are great fishing kayaks and I take mine up to class III but aren't great whitewater boats. I've said it a million times on here they are the pickup trucks of the IK world....hold a ton of gear for camping and are very stable. The new ones bail better and have a few improvements (including a much higher price) over the last iteration that I have. Haven't paddled a new one.

Mine is like 7 years old?? no issues. For the price they are now though...the NRS pike is worth taking a look at. The pikes (with standard seat) are not as comfortable and always run wet....but handle a lot better.

The deluxe seats are definitely nice for the SE and make the boat into a floating couch.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #5
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Many thanks to those of you who replied. It is a little difficult for me to tell from their ads whether their inflatable seat or the high back seat sits a person up the highest. I will give them a call to find out. Always grateful for being able to tap into the wealth of experience here on the Buzz
windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #6
Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Have a 420

I like my Sea Eagle for lakes and easy rivers for fishing because I don't get wet. It's more like a canoe than any other whitewater IKs are. The inflatable seat I have gets me up really high, so even when there is water in the boat, I'm usually above it and dry. On scenic river floats I'm pretty much the only dry ducky paddler being the only one that has a Sea Eagle. When its cold or the water is cold, this is a very nice advantage. As others mentioned, it has drainage issues in whitewater and is kind of a pig to paddle--not as maneuverable. I also really like the skeg which helps it track. I've seen some of the lower end Sea Eagle stuff around and wouldn't buy it. I'd only consider their higher end IKs, personally. Also, their little foot baffle pump is junk. I'd buy a Kpump instead.
Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #7
Alpine, Wyoming
380 or 420

Since you are using it for 2 people, I would definitely recommend the larger model. It's quite commodious, with lots of room for tackle boxes, a small cooler, and other gear. When my kids were small, my wife and I and both of them could fit in it. I don't think any other company makes an IK of it's size, except maybe Hyside.
Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #8
Show Low, Arizona
Inflatable Seat puts you higher

I have a 380x and both types of seats. For fishing, the inflatable seats will put you higher and they are pretty comfortable. That's what I use when fishing the lakes with it. The upgraded seat is what I use on whitewater. I have had it on the salt river in AZ with some class III water. They are a tough boats and yes, the 380x also serves as quite the floating barge for San Juan trips and other I and II trips.

unclet69 is offline   Reply With Quote