Old 03-31-2012   #1
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sawyer V-Pro Blades?

Who out there prefers these blades to others and why- durability, feel in the water?

I've used magnums and carlisles, but like the flex from wood oars/blades. I'm curious how V-Pros would be on a pair of cataracts.

Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #2
I don't have them on Cats, but the v-pro's are great blades for exactly why you said. Very durable and have a nice, soft feel in and out of the water. Super tough and won't sharkbite. I've done a few things where I rock bashed them hard enough I thought for sure I had dinged the wood, nope. Just scratched the outer coat. I believe they are wrapped in fiberglass. Nice rounded shape and float pretty well.

I have mine on MXS-f/g's which are the small diameter Sawyers like the Cat's, they should work great. Search for the Cat vs Sawyers threads and I remember at least one or two guys saying they loved the Cat/V-pro combo after breaking some Cataract blades. I was worried about the wood on rocky, low water but after talking to a friend who uses them on the Poudre he convinced me, no problems here either. Personally, I find the screw to be a PITA versus the push button, but it's more solid and how often do you actually have to mess with it.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #3
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
There's a guy in our group who runs these blades and seems to like them. He did have one splinter on him but Sawyer did a repair job for like $20. Something to keep in mind is that the Sawyer blades are 3" longer than the Cataract/Carlisle blades, so your 9' (or whatever length) Cataract/Carlisle shaft would end up 9'3" with Sawyer blades.
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote