Old 04-21-2009   #1
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Sawyer Oars

Hey, I am wondering if anyone can comment on the Sawyer MX series oars. I am especially interested in any feedback on their graphite oars, I believe the MX-G. I have rowed with the fiberglass ones and find them to be comparable or even better than cataract SGG oars. I am looking to get a new set of oars this year, and I do a lot of gear boating and was wondering if the graphite oars were worth the upgrade in price. Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

swimlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #2
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I just went through this dilemma. I've been on carlisles for about 20 years now. After a few breaks last year, I was forced into buying a new set this year. After much discussion with the salesman, we both came to the point that if we were blindfolded, we probably couldn't tell the difference between one oar and another (other than counter balanced v. noncounter balanced). In the end I went with the cheapest (sawyer polecats with cataract magnum blades). One cataract trip down and I must say that I like 'em. (They are non-counterbalanced, but I personally don't get super fatigued from that wasn't a huge issue.)

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #3
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
I love my Sawyer Mx-Gs. The counter balance is sweet. I can let the oars loose and with wood blades they float just beneath the water ready to take a stroke.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #4
florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FWIW - I have the sawyer polcat shafts with the sawyer synthetic blades and really like them over the carlisle blades and shafts. these blades float just under the surface and is really nice to not have to worry obout them dropping and hitting the botton. they are not counterbalanced and are just fine that way imo. also the contoured wood handles are very comfortable to grip and have had no probs with blisters or losing my grip in the middle of rapids. the only downside is the set screw they use on the blades instead of the spring pin. i have had to stop and after hitting a rock with the blade and had to re-align the blade.
karpiloco is offline   Reply With Quote