Old 05-30-2013   #1
Yukon, Alabama
Sawyer Counter Balanced Oars

I'm am real close to ordering the Sawyer 11 foot MXS oars with rope wrap and stop to include the 2.5 counter balance. This is flat water rowing - with very little whitewater - so long term comfort of rowing is important.

My issue comes up with blade selection - between the Dynalite at 2.25 pounds and the solid ash V-Prop at 3.25 pounds. I actually would prefer the solid Ash, but it would seem that an extra pound on the blade end would significantly impact the effectiveness of the counter balance.

Does anyone have he Sawyer MXS oars with counter balance and V-Pro blades - and do they wish they had a little more counter balance weight or a little less blade weight? Many thanks.

Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #2
I run both; do not really notice any difference with weight/counterbalance. The V's are overkill for flat water, but great for whitewater abuse.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like the Dynalites at all. I used to row them, and have broken two in turbulent/boney water

They are lighter I guess, but the difference is minimal with counter-balanced oars

Still, I row the same Sawyer shafts, but I've switched to their cheaper Black plastic blade (with the metal rod core), and never looked back. Never noticed a difference, except in increased durabiltiy
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #4
I agree with Festivus, I run the MXS-f/g's counterbalanced with the ash pro-v's and they feel great. 10 footers on my 14' raft so they are probably slightly long for my frame width but they don't feel heavy. I used 11 footers on a Grand rig with dyne's they felt good as well.

With the ash you also are getting a much more buoyant blade so that could offset some of it. the v-pro just floats into and out of the water so softly; it's really nice for fishing too. and they can take a beating. I don't think you'll mind the pound.

I think it would also be easy to add a bit of lead to the handle insert inside the shaft if you just found you really wanted a bit more down the road.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote