Old 04-22-2013   #11
Calgary, Alberta
Originally Posted by Toshkya View Post
For home brewing I use a product called star san to sanitize my equipment. Its a no rinse sanitizer. I use oxiclean for cleaning the equipment before I sanitize it. Used in succession I think they would work great for cleaning buckets.
I'll second this.

It doesn't dissolve plastic at all, and a quick spray followed by an air dry is an effective contact sanitizer. It doesn't require rinsing afterwards. It's basically just a strong acid.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I use cheapo small plastic bottles from REI, kind of like shampoo with the little flip up tip for drops. I put it in a plastic bag, with a bit of paper towel in case there are ever leaks. I keep it in the camping kitchen, never had a problem. Or get the 1 qt bleach bottles that are made to hold it, but way more than you will ever need.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #13
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quats are one of the other options to have a sanitizing rinse. Quaternary ammonium comes in tablets, so it's like having a vitamin bottle for your dishes. And, like bleach, it's health dept. approved! (Cause I just had to take my food handlers again...) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #14
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Powdered bleach

I use powdered bleach for pools you only need about 1/8 of a tsp or less. I put in a small nalgene container you need so little a small container lasts a long time. The nalgene will become fragile but it takes several years. Just replace it every couple years. Nice no fuss, muss or leakage along the cap.

I Filled an aluminum water bottle with bleach and it ate away the stopper. I don't trust the bottles that bleach comes in and don't like them in my dry box.[/QUOTE]
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #15
aurora, Colorado
Always put bleach into a 16oz Gatorade bottle. Never a problem. Carry two in case one leaks. I even got to drink the Gatorade first!

sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote