Old 04-07-2006   #1
Saltos and Safety

I'm shopping for creekers and so far my favorite is the Salto - I really like how it paddles and can overcome my reservations about the outfitting , but I do wonder about hull integrity and the safety of bulkhead-less boats like the germans seem to love making. I know that the plastic is supposed to be really good, but it seems that once the hull deforms just a little the whole thing could fold like wet toilet paper. Anybody got opinions/experience with the issue?

pah4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Personally, I never liked the Salto design- the boat seemed to take unexpected turns for me and the outfitting leaves a lot to be desired. BUT: I can't think of a more durable boat. I boat with a couple of guys who have put in 4 or 5 hard seasons on their Saltos with no much visible effect on the hull. Some have even bought new boats but are reluctant to give up their Saltos. I think I went through 3 Micro 240's in the same timeframe.

Anyways- I think you'll find few people that argue against the Salto's durability. As for the bulkhead pillar issue- it's a matter of preference. Some folks will say that in an emergency pin situation (especially against the sides rather than the hull or deck), the last thing you want is a center pillar pinning your lower leg against the plastic. You'll get others that say the opposite. Do this test- stand on the deck of the Salto & see how much it deforms compared to a Watermark plastic (I paddle a Nomad, by the way). I think you'll find that the rotomolded plastic seems much less rigid than the blowmolded Eskimo (or Prijon) boats. Needless to say, all boats can fold, no matter how they're reinforced. The biggest decision: Pick your boating partners more carefully than your gear.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #3
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a new one for sale.. give me a call at 970-218-4228
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #4
there is no creekboat more durable

I had one for 4+ seasons and finally relinquished it for something bigger (I am 190 lbs), but it hardly showed the wear of over 300 creeking days. I was with my buddy, who also paddles one, and he got in a near vertical pin situation, was able to exit the boat, but we were unable to get the boat out at that time due to the location. We returned a week later with plenty of gear to retrieve it. Even with the full force of the river dumping directly into the cockpit, loading up the entire boat for a week (!), we pulled it out and there were no creases anywhere. Amazing -- I wish liquidlogic would make the jefe in that plastic.
jas_gardner is offline   Reply With Quote