Old 12-10-2003   #1
Salomon Pocket Rockets?

I have been considering making the purchase of a pair of Pocket Rockets to mount as teles. Does anyone know anything about the sizing of these skis. I know that ski shops suggest that you purchase shorter and shorter skis lately but I still hesitate to do that. I am 5'11" and 185lbs and a strong skier. I am debating between 175s and 185s. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

lax675654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #2

I am about your same size and weight and I am getting the 175's. I base that off of skiing the Jax last weekend that have similar dimensions but 180 length and they felt like more ski then I wanted. I think having that much under foot gives plenty of ski unless you just like to hall ass and go straight, which ain't me.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #3
Instead of the Pocket Rockets you should try out the Atomic Teledaddys.
They have a stiffer mid section... made for tele... quite a bit cheaper too!
h2ojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004   #4
ski/kayak bum
I ski the teledaddy--alpine
Thats right, its the exact same ski as the sugar only i could mount any binder and they are lighter (no under foot plate) and cheaper

great ski, super burly, i ski it everyday at c butte, watch out though it is extremely stiff. it is at its best in semi soft and crud. powder--it is to stiff and on super bulletproof---its to wide under foot. and it skis much different than anything else. very much like a straight ski.
hope that this helps. maybe look at hippy stinx or seth pistol. they are both a bit softer and more forgiving than the teledaddy.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004   #5
Steamboat, Colorado

I'm 5'9", 150lbs and ski a pair of 173cm Teledaddy mounted with Fritschi Freerides. It's a super heavy setup (I ski these in the backcountry) but it's also the most fun ski setup I've ever owned, which isn't saying saying much.

I agree with double-a-ron, these ski like no other ski I've ever skied. Stiff and fast. I tend to disagree about the powder comment though. These boards rip in the pow. And while they provide a much different feel than a soft ski, I personally like the way they ski in powder. It's a more dynamic bounce than with a soft ski so you have to drive a little harder, but their snap feels really nice. Plus they can go really fast if you need to, which is not only fun but can get you out of trouble in some cases.

Good luck shopping! I'm sure by now you've probably already settled on something...
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004   #6
I wouldn't hesitate to get the 185 PR if that's the direction you're heading. The PRs have turned up tails, which dramatically shortens the actual ski length of the ski because of the amount of base contact on the snow. So, the 185 PR will ski like a 180, etc. They are soft and not very stable at speed. Too much is said about length these days.. If everything was better short, why do the ski manufacturers make the longer lengths? If you can ski well, you can ski any length.
surfpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004   #7
ski/kayak bum
They make the longer lengths for those who wish they were heli skiing and wide open bottomless steep bowls. point and shoot. then again 185 isn't a long ski for someone 180+lbs. I weigh 220 am 6'2" and ski everyday on a pair of 183 teledaddys. this is a move from 191 R:EXs. I love the short length in super tight areas. The width under foot gives me as much ski as i could ever want. talk to people who know your ability and style and here is the best idea of all demo demo demo

hope this helps
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004   #8
Work Stinx

I actually looked at the PR and switched to the new Work Stinx and love them. I am 180 and 5'10" and love the trees and backcountry but coach tele on the groomers two days a week and have been stoked with how confident I am on them. I can lay out fat carves, smooth out the chop in highlands bowl, I have been boot to chest deep since I got them and I have been stoked. Also I out my bindings on in the back of my car while my wife drove to the mountain. Can't beat that.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote