Old 08-06-2008   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
S/M Ammo vs. CR 125 vs. EZG 50

I am finishing my first year of paddling and thinking about getting a play/runner boat. I currently paddle a Perception Whiplash, am 6' and 170ish lbs and feel comfortable in III+ water. I have read reviews on these boats and plan on demoing them, but am looking for some more info/advice. I have tried a Jackson Fun and didn't really like it, but that might have been due to the fact I was hungover. Any input would help. Thanks.

roowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #2
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
The ammo is a great river runner but it's not gonna do much for play. You'd be better off with either the CR or the EZG for an all around boat that'll allow you to progress in different abilities. I have a CR and love it for both river running and play (I'm not a hard core playboater by any means).

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #3
I second Goodtimes advice. I have an ammo that I use as a minicreeker/bigger water boat to compliment my 420. It runs rivers great but not super playful. I have demoed the CR a number of times. I even ran a small creek in it. It surfs really nice and still runs rivers excellent. The fun seemed more playboaty than the CR when I demoed it.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #4
Austin, Tejas
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm a total fan of the EZG. It was my first boat, and I progressed from II-IV in it. I got rid of it a few years back and now have a creeker and a Project....but honestly I really wish I still had my EZG. It really is a do everything boat, from playboating to big water III+, to small easy class IV creeks. It may challenge your abilities a bit at first if your coming from paddling a Whiplash, but hey, that's a good thing!
CLIMACVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm also a big EZG fan. I also weigh a little less than you, closer to 160 or a little under. It's playful but can run class IV, even some V- no problem. I've tried the CR in a pool and it's not as playful as the EZG.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
A different angle on it all....

Keep your whiplash as a river runner and go with a little more aggressive play boat than an EZG. Dont get me wrong its a great boat but due to its all around nature it is limited. If you were only going to have one boat then maybe the ezg is great. Its not like you are going to sell your whiplash for much so you might as well keep it and use it.

I had a buddy get an ezg and he grew out of it quickly. Now he is wanting to do more vertical/areal moves and is unable to. The other advantage is that runoff is past so you have some time to get used to a more aggressive boat in less pushy conditions for next year.

if you feel uncomfortable with what i am saying then you know what you should do...

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #7
Golden, Colorado
I'm a huge fan of the EZG too. It's an amazing river runner and playful enough if you're not a great playboater (which I'm not). I love it in stuff like the Royal Gorge at 3000cfs, Pine Creek or Gauley. Ben might be right if you think that playboating is your thing in which case you'll outgrow the EZG quickly. If river running with some playing along the way is your thing though, I can't recommend the boat highly enough. I have a few friends that are great paddlers (creekers, not playboaters) who hesitate to take their pure playboats (Allstars) down big water play runs cause they are always getting the tail sucked down. They're looking to get something like the EZG for play runs during peak runnoff. The EZG handles big pushy water easily but still allows you to do wave wheels, cartwheels, surf, spin etc (which is about all I can do).

I demoed the CR125 on Upper Rustic and absolutely hated it. It made everything harder compared to the EZG. Didn't care for the outfitting in the Fun either.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #8
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 08
Cr 125 V. Ammo (med)

I have both and love both. The Cr, as do all LL boats currently made, have the industry lead when it comes to outfitting. The Cr is, imo, more loose in the hull then the Fun or the Ammo. The Ammo is a very stable and forgiving boat and my go to for just having fun and acting like driftwood but will snap to your commands (even if they're just close). The Ammo is very responsive and lives up to the hype. If I had to have just one boat (God forbid) it would be the Ammo. And yes it will still play just not as much as or make as many moves as a full on player. All I can say is, in the words of the Great Atom Crawford, who has been very helpful, "DEMO, DEMO, DEMO!!"
Good luck and enjoy the journey. Thad

ThadJB is offline   Reply With Quote