Old 02-01-2006   #1
Rough Stuff - Bent shaft paddles ?

Hi all,

Looking for beta on these irish made paddles. Info I've found proclaims them to be bomber strong but a bit heavy as, acceptable, consequence. When comparing weights to AT paddles I'm familiar with, I find that the weight @ 2.25lbs compares very closely to the AT's approx 1100 grams. Anyone have hands on experience withe these sticks?

Many thanks in advance,

kayakross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #2
try for reviews or ask directly on the forum

paddyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I ordered one when Sierra Trading post had them up for dirt cheap, and I have to say on initial inspection that it seems a top notch paddle. A friend of mine had one several years back and beat the crap out of it and it held up great.

I haven't used mine yet, as I got a couple weeks ago and its still freezing here, but it seems to be well made. It uses a bit more unconventional way of making the bend in the shaft, in that the shaft is actually 3 pieces glued together. A middle section that has to molded grip sections inserted into, which in turn attach to the blades. I think the middle section is made of graphite, but I can't tell what the grips are made of since they are covered in rubbery like material.

The blades are titanium reinforced carbon fiber and should be pretty strong. The paddle is slightly heavier then my Waterstick, but its longer and I am guessing quite a bit more burly. I'm planning on using it primarily as a creeking and river running paddle, and using the Waterstick (191cm 12 degree offset, compared to the 196cm 45degree offset of the Rough Stuff). I'm a bit concerned about the glue that holds the bits together, but I won't be able to tell anything about it till I get some use out of it. I imagine they use epoxy and that it will hold just fine. Everyone I have talked to who has used one of these paddles has liked it and stuck with it. I think it will make a great creeker paddle and look forward to getting out on the water with it.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Love the paddle, I have not been able to break mine yet..
The only draw back is when it is cold, or when the water is cold the shaft makes your hands freeze up a bit quicker then other paddles..
If the price is right I would buy another one before I buy another AT
good luck
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
I also got one of these paddles (black magic) while they were cheap on Sierra Trading Post. I have not been able to use it yet but am excited to give it a shot. Mine has rubber wrapped around the hand holds to prevent my hands from freezing. $170 for a bent shaft is not bad though.
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #6
Should have moved my feet...

Sierratradingpost sold out yesterday ...$129. aargh!

Thanks all the same for your thoughts.

kayakross is offline   Reply With Quote

bent shaft