Mountain Buzz banner

Roll a cot sizing and pricing

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  David Miller 
#1 ·
So I have decided to get a couple roll a cots for this summer. I have been just sleeping on a Paco. I am wondering if the standard is big enough, I am 215lbs and 5,11 but have no flab. I found standards for 100.00 and this appears to be a good price from looking around. The wide is not on sale but not sure if I even need it.

So any fit info or better pricing would be helpful

#2 ·
6'5/230. I'm happy with the std even if my feet hang off. I think the green ones are discounted or you can call the owner he may sell blems/2nds

My buddy has the long wide but I've never tried it. It's too long to fit in his drybox but easy to strap on a boat somewhere

#5 ·
I use a standard with an REI Camp Rest model pad. My rafting partner is about your size, and he switched this season to a wide model (not wide/long) for a little extra elbow room. He used the standard for many years, and it wasn't bad, he just wanted more room. One thing to check before you decide is the fit of the cots in your tent. Make sure you have adequate floor space. Whichever one you choose, you will love them. I'll never sleep on the ground again. I use mine both in the tent, and under the stars. Makes sleeping out of the tent a more pleasant experience. No worry about creepy crawlies in the night. The roll-a-cots pack up so nice, and they are built to last. Enjoy!

#6 ·
After spending 16 days camping in the sand I am going to buy a cot. Sleeping on the sand and dragging the sand into the tent got very old. Has anyone seen a good tent set up that would cover the cot? If there isn't one on the market it would make a great after market item. Wouldn't need a floor or even a door. Sand plays havoc on zippers. You could just lift the side of the tent and slide onto the cot.

Seems like a couple of tent polls attached to the cot could suspend a fine shelter over a cot.

#9 ·
After spending 16 days camping in the sand I am going to buy a cot. Sleeping on the sand and dragging the sand into the tent got very old. Has anyone seen a good tent set up that would cover the cot? If there isn't one on the market it would make a great after market item. Wouldn't need a floor or even a door. Sand plays havoc on zippers. You could just lift the side of the tent and slide onto the cot.

Seems like a couple of tent polls attached to the cot could suspend a fine shelter over a cot.
You can do a bivvy atop the cot. Or you can get a Kelty's Noah 16. Run a rope between your oars and then secure the corners with stakes

#7 ·
Some tents offer a "fast pitch" option that just uses the footprint, poles, and rain fly. Might be worth a try.

One other tip for the OP. Floor protection for your tent. I have tried a few different things, and recently started using indoor/outdoor carpet squares. I cut mine about 6X6 ish in size. They protect the floor and are big enough to spread the weight out in sand. I also will often grab some flat rocks to level the legs of my cot, and the carpet squares protect the tent floor under the rocks. I pack my cot in a long tent bag, and the carpet squares fit down in the bag easily.

#8 ·
I want the mosquito netting even more than the fly and the floor seems unimportant if you can sit on your cot and take off your shoes and slide them into the bag hung from the side of the cot. Design might need some bungies or stakes to hold down the netting. Don't care for Scorpions and I hear Rattle Snakes are looking for a warm place to crawl into in the cool of the night. Will be glad to be off the ground.

#10 ·
Orto11, I'm about your same size and originally bought the sandard size roll-a-cot. Then I switched to the larger 27" wide model. Huge difference in comfort level. Don't need to worry about banging my knees on the side rails nearly as much. Well worth the extra money for the increased comfort. I would not recommend the longer model because the extra length could be problematic in many tents.

#11 ·
Like this

Here is a design that comes close to my concept. It's clunky, hot and very heavy so it's not sutable for desert camping. It also has zippers but you can see what I'm thinking.

Attachments

#13 ·
I got a roll cot last year and love it. I use it with a mega mid which works great in most conditions. Only drawback to the mega mid is the lack of netting to keep the bugs out, but I,'ve seen some other similar style tents with the screen.
The mid/cot combo is great in the rain, since there is no floor you don't have to worry about where the runoff goes, also has enough space to put a chair inside with the cot.

#16 ·
I used a bucket of river water to clean off my feet before entering the tent and that helped some.

I have one of those mats and use it in the kitchen. It works well but I'm selling my Maravia Silverback pads and buying 2 Roll-a-cots. I think sleeping on a cot is way better and much cooler than pitching a tent on the hot sand.

You can take off your footware and put it in the bag that hangs off the side of the cot away from the Scorpions and Rattle Snakes! All I really need is some Mosquito netting and maybe a rain fly and I'll be a happy camper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.