Old 05-30-2013   #1
Absarokee, Montana
Paddling Since: 2006
Rocky Mountain leaky floor?

Got a 16ft Rocky Mountain Raft and the release valve in the floor is always leaking air. Anyone know how to fix it or why it does that.

everydayhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #2
Calgary, Alberta
On older rafts (early 2011, I think), the pressure release valve was a model with too low a maximum pressure. You could contact them, but my vague memory suggests the ones that couldn't handle much pressure had a white dot on them or something.

Having said that, my raft doesn't have the low pressure PRV and that's happened to me twice now as well. In both cases I just had something like a grain of sand stuck in the PRV. I took the valve apart, flushed it with water while depressing the plunger from the bottom, then did the same thing with a bit of 303, re-installed the valve and no problems. There's an instructional video on the NRS website somewhere.

I've just ordered a silt screen for my valve since my boat didn't come with one.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
Rocky Mountains have always had a white dot PRV. That is the highest pressure PRV that anyone is using in an I beam floor. The scale from least pressure to highest is: yellow 1.75, blue 2.0, brown 2.5 (looks like red but its not, red is higher than white and no one uses them), white 2.75. There are other colors like purple, red....etc but no one uses them in raft floors. Leafield PRVs are the industry standard and what we have to work with but are notorious for leaking no matter what boat you put them in. As soon as the smallest grain of silt gets in them, they leak. Pumping the floor until the PRV blows, or letting it sun pump until it blows are great ways to make sure that they will get silt in them and leak. Never letting a new valve break seal and puff off air is the best way to keep them from leaking, but they eventually will anyway. The sand screens that some come with are really good at trapping silt in and helping them leak. I clean my PRV valves out after every trip or two depending on where ive been. Always after a westy, cat or anything with fine silt. Almost every boat that comes into my shop has a leaky PRV. The silt and sand wear down the tiny rubber ring on the edge of the rubber gasket that makes the seal as well so they do need to be replaced occasionally. I would love to come up with a better design for a PRV but havent yet.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #4
Calgary, Alberta
^^^ Good info... thanks Zach.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #5
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Was running into the same problem on my revolution. Contacted NRS who suggested unscrewing and cleaning out the valve. It's kinda embarassing to think you know your boat inside and out, and then have someone suggest something so simple and obvious. Oh well, you live you learn. And that seemed to do the trick. Also, if it didn't come with a valve screen, I highly recommend. $3.50 is worth it.

Leafield A6 Pressure Relief Valve Screen at

good instructional
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #6
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
I know the valve that came on my 2011 did not have a screen, so sand got in there and screwed things up. I replaced mine and no worries since.
apmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #7
Paddling Since: 1994
Screens help with big sand but dont do a damn thing for the finer stuff.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote