Old 09-05-2007   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #12
pnw, Washington
I have seen all the creek boats mentioned above, broken. They break, so what? Buy the boat that makes you a better boater. Demo each and decide. I am however unconvinced that ws is back. Call me skeptical.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #13
Boulder / Tennessee, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got a Jefe now...I love it for creeks. I would certainly recommend it over the Rocker out of your two choices. However, as some have already brought up, the Jefe is sometimes a bit slow in bigger water.

I hate bringing in other boats, but...

I also used to paddle a Gus. It's a good bit longer than the Jefe, so it definately has the good speed and tracking for bigger water. Its speed requires getting used to, though. That boat wants to take off wherever it is. It does great in smaller low-volume creeks, but you'll need to get a feel for how it behaves catching eddies and making ferries, etc.

Gnarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
Creek boat

do yourself a big favor...listen to the advise and feedback that you are asking for on the Buzz...then rent or demo a few of the boats you have narrowed it down to. What works for one boater, fit, comfort, control and on and on does not work for everyone else. Demo the boat where you can roll it in moving water and can roll it both strong and weak side. If you can roll it with confidence, you will run just about anything because you have very little doubt that you will swim! On the other hand, I have had a few creek boats that did great on the river, the big drops, small creeks, Tech runs, but it was sometimes 50/50 if i could make it roll in a clutch situation! I feel that all the new boats are worth what you pay for them. yes, some plastic is better than others, some outfitting is better than others, some boof better, but it is all about how you feel in the boat and how it performs (or how you can make it perform!) on the class of river you choose to run! Good Luck on your choice and keep the bottom side down..(smile)..cheers
colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #15
Ski Patrol
Skinny Fish

Depending on how much you weigh a Mystic might be a good option. The Burn IMO is a great boat on larger volume creeks. The Jeffe and the Rocker are great on Med or smaller volume creeks. However they may feel a bit tuggy on bigger H2O. The Mystic rules both classes. Moderate rocker & soft edges= the perfect combination. The Mystic will fit the Med and Large sized paddler.

mike hagadorn
summit Bliss-Stick
A wise man once said "You Play You Pay"
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #16
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I move from an old salto to a jefe this year and was pleased with its performance once I moved the seat forward a nut hair. After this adjustment I didn't have any speed issues. I beat her up pretty good this year mainly on smaller creeks like the pueblo and bear creek and didn't have any plastic issues.

I always thought jackson had great plastic until I saw 2 get destroyed on bear. But bear is mank below 250

Look forward to paddling the jefe again next year.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #17
Indian Hills, Colorado
Ah, the age old question! Which one to buy?

I have a rocker and love it. The plastic has held up for me very well even on some very hard hits where I thought that I may have cracked or caved in the nose. It is a relatively fast boat, great on boofs and punches holes with little effort. Thats all I can tell you is my personal accounts. I like the boat for what I use it for, class IV-V creeking/river running.

But I would say demo demo demo!
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #18
Jefe is all you'll need

I've paddled both, and the jefe is the hands down winner between the 2 by far. But in my personal opinion i would go with the Riot Magnum, its really responsive, and at the same time it'll give when your in a sticky situation. Magnum all the way
kayakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #19
Anyone noticed how the rocker looks a lot like the old topos? I think the topo boofs better though. get a jefe.
Seriously Dude!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #20
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
if i were you out of those two i woulg go towards the jefe, jackson kayaks just arent designed as well and the out fitting tends to break a lot, the jefe is the way to go, also try the nomad, habitat and burn i would say are the good boats out there

fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote