Old 11-16-2012   #1
river stereo

since I'm the only raft on my upcoming Grand trip and the two kayakers joining me will be off doing air screws most the time, I came up with a way to enjoy some ipod music. the components are for a marine system, so the speakers are waterproof. the speaker boxes I made out of aluminum, the ipod cable connection is waterproof and there is a waterproof on/off volume switch. the speaker cables store inside the ammo can when not in use. the speakers velcro to the ammo can or to my cooler, the otter box ipod case allows for song selection and should keep the ipod safe. we'll see how long the battery lasts in the cold. the set up is a little heavy but whats a few more pounds. and oh yeah it rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 006.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	5328   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 004.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	5329  

Name:	radio 003.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5330   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 007.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	5331  

Name:	radio 008.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	5332   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 009.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	5333  

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #2
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Phuck ya, all you gotta do now is figure out a way to update your facebook status and watch episodes of here comes honey boo boo and got yourself a tolerable g.c.trip.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #3
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Heck of a setup. That would be OK for me, once in a while, if it were some nice, sweet classical music. Not AC-DC or Black Sabbath.

By the way, you can update your facebook all the way to the Badger camp. Call your friends after you pass the Paria and say, "Guess where I am!!!"
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #4
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Nice. I'm pro music. Everytime I've busted out music in camp,whilst sitting around the fire,morale and the general mood of everyone improves. "It's science."

Sweet Wright Life sticker too. Buy local! Missin my town...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #5
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
nice set up! I've been thinking of something similar, I am planning on using a solar panel to recharge the battery though. what size battery did you use? I was thinking of something like a motorcycle size battery.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Well played sir!

Well conceived and executed. Something I've been kicking around for years but never got around to. If I had my way there would be reggae comin' off my rubba' at all hours.

Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #7
Paddling Since: 2002
if anyone knows jay jay down here in durango.... he has the pimp shit river stereo made out of a pelican suitcase
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #8
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No one wants to hear your music except you. Use headphones or learn to play the guitar. The whole point of a river trip is the change of pace. It may start innocently with a little quiet music, but it will end up being louder, and later than it should be. The goal in the GC is to not impact the environment or other groups. This will surely do both.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #9
for all you anti music critics please send positive vibes and keep in mind, as mentioned, I AM THE ONLY RAFT. other groups will be provided all due respect if we see any. I would not impose on fellow rafters without their blessing. 25 days all alone on the raft, no one to talk to, big wave playboaters from Germany not paying any attention to me except for wanting food and drink (, a few tunes can't help but warm the spirit. we launch Dec 5th and hey its my birthday 12/12/12 so whats a party without a little music.

I'll admit the ipod is 70% Grateful Dead, 20% Reggae and 10% misc.

the battery is 7"x5"x8", weighs 29 pounds. Power Patrol SLA 1155, 12V 35Ah, hopefully there's enough juice to use the converter and charge DSL camera, gopros, ipad and ipod.

hey bucketboater, I'll see how the data upload link works through the satelite phone for updating facebook and streaming honey boo. oh yeah I forgot I don't have a facebook page and honey boo doesn't do much for me either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery 001.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	5357  
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #10
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
It's probably an expensive battery. I would worry about draining it too low. Get a small cheap dmm so you can see how much it drains per hour and budget for it. Solar probably wont help due to shade in the canyon. You might want to add a second independent 7ah battery for your other electronics

I find music is nicest during dinner prep

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote