Old 11-17-2012   #11
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Are you taking the ping pong table as well?

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #12
avatard, couldn't agree more about dinner prep music. on normal trips this is the one time, I feel,the cooks in the kitchen have sole authority to have tunes while cooking. maybe a little after dinner music but then back to ear buds if need be.

we have thought long and hard about ping pong on a summer trip. almost did it one year. don't like wind messin up a good shot.

17 days and counting!

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #13
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hope you get great weather
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Love you guys telling ME what the "whole point of a river trip" is.

I decide what the point of a river trip is. If anyone wants to know you can PM me.
Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #15
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13
The goal in the GC is to not impact the environment or other groups. This will surely do both.
Here's someone that won't be getting invited on a trip any time soon. YOUR goal might be to sit around quietly so you don't disturb the ringtails but most of us, including the other groups, want to to have a good time! The only sensitive wildlife I can think of is supposed to be scared away from camps anyway. The rocks and cactus don't mind some tunes and neither does ANY group I've ever run into down there. The stick seems to be in your butt only Captain Bringdown!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #16
C. Springs, Colorado
Your post's always crack me up.....Randaddy.......No sugar added......none needed.

Cool set up. A guy brought one like that on a Deso trip. The wattage of the amp and volume you play it at will equate to the battery life. His battery lasted about 4 days and we played it a lot. It was a garden tractor gel type battery if I remember right. It was low water and we needed something to drown out the motor noise of our party barge.....and I'm in the group that likes music to float to.

One thing I would add to the design is a cigarette type power outlet mounted inside or externally....... for charging things like I pods, GPS's or whatever in camp.

I still take my old Dewalt AM/FM radio that has an external plug for Ipods. It's pretty much water proof as long as you quickly dry it out after a flip.
The batteries last four or five days of steady play and are not that heavy for the length of play time they give you. Six would probably be enough for a grand canyon trip. You could probably cut that in half by using the new type of batteries they sell for them these days.

I bought a Memorex Ipod dock that folds up nice and small and sound really good for what it is. It's not water proof at all but perfect for in kitchen and dinner time music. Easy to move around the kitchen. It runs on AAA's and I usually get about 20 hours out of a set of batteries. Here is a link to the model I bought. I think I only paid around $40.00 at a K-mart in West Virginia.
Memorex PurePlay Portable Speaker System (MI3602... : Target
It makes for a great back up system.

Of coarse...... maybe we can all agree ......that the best music on the river is music......usually at night......around a camp fire.

Enjoy your trip and crank it up in Redwall cavern. That will be a true test of your new system.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #17
Paddling Since: 2002
trickle charge the battery before you leave!
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #18
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
The goal in the GC is to not impact the environment or other groups.
I have searched through all my books and all the regulations and I am not able to find the citation for this "goal". Maybe this is more of your guideline than a rule. Music at the right time in the canyon rocks (no pun intended).
Nice setup Mike.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #19
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I just bought one of these, Grace Digital Eco Extreme 3.5mm Aux Waterproof Portable Speaker Case (Orange): Electronics. I'll be trying it out in a few weeks on a flatwater trip in Baja. It seams plenty loud compared to smaller systems I have had in the past. Just enough to get my groove on while rigging and not disturb the peace, yet still loud enough to initiate random dance parties on the beach.

I looked at this as a bigger option,, but so far I've found the small speakers to be plenty for my groups.

Great setup by the way. i agree that a charging port would be a sweet option too.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #20
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Nicely done, mrkayak. I've been wanting to make one like the Ion Tailgater, but 100% enclosed in an ammo can.

I was thinking of putting goretex over the speaker, but maybe your solution of external waterproof speakers is a better one.

Anyway, looks like your can is 80% full of battery!

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote