Old 06-08-2005   #1
river runner / playboat

I have just moved to colorado and am looking for a good river runner boat that I can play in. Used to own a big creek boat in Ark, but dont know much about other stlyles of boats. I have had the inazone 230 and the wavesport x & y recomended to me. Any comments on these boats and any others will be extremeley helpful. I am 6' 190lbs and wear 10.5 shoes. thanks

hroark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #2
Pyranha Sub 8 or I:4 might be the ticket.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #3
Thanks for the reply geezer. I will look into those boats. Do you know anything about the boats I mentioned.
Old 06-09-2005   #4
The X & Y are kind of bigger old schoolish boats, You didn't say if you wanted new or used or how comfortable you are and how much play do you want, surfing, cartwheels or loops?
If your looking at a used boat for simple play under 5bills I'd tell you to look into the wavesport ez line or a Dagger Outlaw/Honcho, their Ego's are more play/river, Geezer's is good advice on those boats too.

That being said I was watching one of the Dagger Pro's in Salida almost pullin loop's in a Mamba!!!! and my buddy chad surfs a mean H3 boat..

I don’t know if you have heard of us, we are a group of Newbies, Rusty’s and Class 2&3 boaters from on the Front Range.
There is always someone from the group out paddling something mellowish somewhere, days, nights and weekends. Check out the link and join us for some fun, roll practice or maybe even a swim!!!

Colorado kayakers

and check out
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #5
We just purchased WS EZG's (my wife and I). We love them and hear that they are great for both play and river running. We are newbie's so our opinion is not as good as the pros but even our instructors say they want one as their next boats after paddling ours. They are very comfortable to boot!
EZGSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #6
I would pass on the Inazone. OK in it's time but there is much better and they are tought to surf because they pearl all the time. Like others say, you could go for a Big EZ and be happy. The I:3 could be found used for about 5 bills. You would probably be a bit too heavy for the I:3 222 and maybe OK with the I:3 223 from previous years. I see one for sale on the gear swap today.

The X and Z boats were awesome boats when they came out and you saw them at all the rodeos back then. They make good river runners that can play and you can pick them up pretty cheap. If you are looking to do more than stern squirts or surfing, I would look at something different than the X or Z. Your mileage/opinion may vary.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #7
pnw, Washington
Tried a lot of boats, really like my new ezg.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #8
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking for a used boat that I can learn to surf in and still run class III rivers.
Old 06-13-2005   #9
The new boats like the Wavesport EZG & Jackson Fun series are really nice for combined river running/play. But, since they are new models, you won't find them cheap this year.

The problem with the older boats is that many of them are longer and don't have that much rocker, which makes them harder to surf on many of the Colorado smaller volume rivers/creeks. Then, you may find a smaller boat, but it may not run the river well.

There are many older models with many quirks. Getting good advice is important. Many of the local shops sell used boats and can give you good advice.

The most important thing is always getting a boat size that fits you.

The Wavesport EZ and Dagger G-ride may be good options that you can hopefully get in the $500 range.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #10
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a G-Ride, same position learning to surf some easy stuff and then just try to stay upright in class III water. It has been a great boat. I learned on a used WS X, and it was great for the price. I think I was a little heavy in the X, I tended to pearl (nosedive) a little bit if I paddled too hard (>200 lbs). I test drove a Big EZ and LOVED it. It had real user friendly outfitting, it felt super stable, and I was able to surf on my little smurf waves. It was also real comfortable. I just got a better deal on the Dagger. I've been teaching girlfriend in a Inazone 232, and so far she has really liked it. I also tested a Pyrannah I:3. It was super stable, easy to surf, and it was really fast. I felt like I was in an SUV, like I was sitting higher up off the water too. The only thing is it is kind of long, so not as manuverable, but great hull speed.

Any of these boats would be great used boats. Bottom line is you'll find what you like and don't like about it, and in a year or two, you'll probably drop more money for a new boat and can choose accordingly. Plus if you get something new-ish in design, you will probably sell it for about what you pay for it at a swap, and cash that in for your new ride. Test-paddle anything you can beg borrow or steal.

Oh, the WS Y is a creek boat, and the Z is just a bigger X boat for taller or bigger paddlers.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote