Mountain Buzz banner

River Runner Kayaks?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sabo55 
#1 ·
Right now I paddle a Perception Overflow, which is a kick ass boat. But I think it's time to upgrade. I've been able to creek a bit this winter and I don't think it's for me. I like that feel of being on big water and big rivers. I have looked at a few different boats and I just want some feedback from those who know first hand how they handle. I need more primary stability than what I get from my Perception. I also need more foot room. I'm 6'1" 185lbs. Just hit me with suggestions and personal experiences! Thanks

Ragecage

#2 ·
I have paddled the Pyranha Burn for many years now and it's a solid river runner. Other good options include the Jackson Zen and Karma and Wavesport Diesel. My suggestion would be to go to a good paddling shop or a whitewater festival and try a few out to see what fits you best.

#4 ·
Yeah, Rage. Time to upgrade. The Jacksons designs are the best. At your size I think either the Karma M or Zen L. Dial in the seat to the sweet spot and you'll be amazed how much fun you have and perfect your boating. Enjoy!

#6 ·
Dagger Mamba 8.6

A little about me: 5'9, 185-190lbs, paddling experience 9 years, enjoy paddling class 4+ with a few 5s here and there. Have paddled the Remix 69, Stomper 90 and now in the Mamba 8.6.

Even with my weight being on the lower end of the 8.6 I still really enjoy paddling it. The Mamba allows you to sit high enough up in the cockpit but still allows you to have 89 gallons of volume!
In the Stomper I felt that I sat super low and I believe it affected my ability.
The remix always felt small with only 69 gallons and in turn made it more challenging to boof or get over different features. The remix is more about cutting through waves vs getting over the top of them.

The Mamba has great edges for going in and out of eddies but also allows you to hold a solid line while paddling through big water. The Mamba has great speed and acceleration too. The first and secondary stability on the Mamba is great. You can recover from many things that I believe I struggled with in the Stomper.
The Stomper has soft edges and is challenging to hold a solid line in a rapid. I felt that the sidewall of the stomper had a distinctive difference between it's first and secondary stability making it harder to correct yourself while being on edge. (This could be because I sat super low in the boat.)
The Remix would hold a great line but would make it more difficult to change directions in rapids because of it's longer stern with lower volume. When going into eddies with a Remix it felt slower and more of a gradual snap. First and secondary stability were solid and could correct yourself well. The speed and acceleration with the Remix was always great. It could get up to speed and hold it well.

The outfitting with the Liquid Logic boats were always comfortable but I never felt that "performance fit" that I desired. I think that is were the Dagger boats have the upper hand. They are both comfortable for long days but the Dagger boats allow for a more "performance fit" with their Contour Outfitting vs the Bass Ass Outfitting.

As for rolling every modern boat now days are super easy.

The Boofing metal goes to the Stomper, then the Mamba (being a close second), followed by the Remix.

Speed metal goes to the Mamba but I never paddled the 79 Remix so that could change, then Remix 69, followed by the Stomper.

Stability metal goes to Mamba, Remix, Stomper. (I believe outfitting plays a big role in this too!)

I hope this helps. I know I rambled a lot but if you have more questions feel free to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.