Old 04-04-2013   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
hate my bearclaw the gerber shorty..Confluence uses zipties for attachment..pretty sure they know a thing or twelve about it..

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #22
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
hate my bearclaw
Care to elaborate? I was thinking of picking one up for my next knife. Already have a river shorty, which is alright but gets hung up sometimes on my paddle.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #23
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the input, these are the responses I had hoped to get. I too have the shorty right now and I have tried it out just about everywhere on my jacket. The best I found what on my shoulder straps but even then I was unable to secure it in a fashion I was satisfied with. I would also like to hear input as to why the bear claw is not up to par?
robbo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #24
Columbus, Indiana
bearclaw with the rounded (not sharp point) tip seems to be one of the best things out there. I reallly fail to see any big flaws with this knife. It cuts rope well, has a good sheath, and has a finger hole so it's harder to drop with cold hands.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #25
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Def. get a secondary elastic band of some kind. It's so easy to put on and if you need it in a hurry it breaks w/o any problem. Cheapest insurance for a river knife.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #26
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Do you have suggestions on how to mount a bear claw on the green jacket? I just picked one up and put it on the square plastic thingie, but am not impressed with the placement.
I lost two bear claws off my Green Jacket putting it on the lash tab thing. I switched courses after that and put it on my left shoulder strap with zip ties. I mounted it facing so while drawing it the blade faces AWAY from my neck.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #27
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Check this guy out:

CRKT Renner Neckolas™ Knife

The quick release/lock on the sheath is convenient, and it's a good deal more low profile than the Pilot. I went through two Pilot's before trying the CRKT; the Pilot's just seem a little bulky, snag easily, no super great placement options on the green... always come off when climbing BACK into the raft... I always thought the co-pilot was on the small, puny side.
I have the CRKT Renner and a greenjacket. I got the knife because it is the lowest profile i could find and it stays in its sheath pretty well. There is a little thumb tab on the sheath that you push on/squeeze to pop the knife out of the sheath, very ergonomic and easy to use and holds it in well too. Also, the fingerhole in the handle makes it very easy to hold onto, especially considering its small size. I mounted mine using zipties and the webbing loops on my shoulder strap, with the handle pointing down and a thick rubberband running from my pfd, through the fingerhole in the handle then around the handle-just in case it gets bumped loose from the sheath the rubberband keeps it firmly in place but you can easily rip it loose if necessary. just make sure you mount it with the blade facing away from your jugular! I have not had any issues with it in 4 years, but fortunately I have never had to use it in any emergency situations. Another reason I put it there was to keep it out of the way of my hands/oars when rowing
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yeah Glenn i think it is good for cutting ropes or webbing but not much else(maybe a skirt or even saw a kayak in some unlikely circumstance)...How many ropes do you have on a kayak?..the thing is gnarly serrated could easily cut the shit out of yourself...a small folding saw in your rescue gear is MUCH cheaper..mostly just want a more versatile knife you can use for other applications on the river or in camp...last time this came up i caught shit for suggesting you could use a river knife for anything other than rescue applications,like it would be dull when you need it..maybe, but can't you sharpen it on occassion ?...a knife is a good tool for all sorts of things and i don't want to carry several knives..for rafting where you may be dealing with ropes and have plenty of room for multiple it makes more sense.. the finger hole is a good feature...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #29
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
oh yeah, carry extra rubberbands in the pocket so you can replace the one holding your knife, in case you do have to use it in a hurry

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote