Old 08-27-2012   #1
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
River inner tubes, any suggestions? NRS are pricey

So i never thought i would be asking this...but what is a decent tube for floating down the river?

My kids jumped in some this weekend...and the liberty from leaving the raft was exciting for small for SUP or kayaking yet.

The ones my friends had from Sports authority were too cheap (thin vinyl pool) and NRS ones are serious ($130).

Any suggestions appreciated...thanks

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #2
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Check with the local tire stores, they might be able to help out with a truck inner tube.

Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #3
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
The cheap vinyl ones are toast the first time the hit a branch or stick.

Inner tubes are a major hassle to comfortably stay in, especially for kids, who will fall right through the hole.

For frequent use, the NRS tubes are worth it. They are very sturdy and the mesh in the bottom makes them comfortable to sit in without falling through.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #4
San Juan Islands, Washington
cut a round piece of plywood and tie it in the center of a truck tube, good for holding beer in and your but from dragging on the rocks.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
nrs tube

going to have to agree with the gringo, the nrs tube is perfect for trailing behind the raft. the kids love it. i thought it was retarded to spend that much on a freaking tube but it's solid with good features and should last longer than ten truck tubes.
You deserve a good paddling!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Just use gorilla tape to patch the cheapies (bring some on the river). I have a couple river rats ($10 pool toy tube) that are 5 years old and still going... Many patches, but they hold air great. Also, the mesh netting stops you from sinking your butt into the river to lower your center of gravity in the rapids. I made it thru Smelter Rapid on the animas without flipping during peak two years ago @ 5400 cfs in the river rat, while my friend with a nrs flipped in the first wave and went for a long swim. Tire intertubes will give you a rash from chaffing, and are more expensive.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #7
Working to much
Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a set of 4 River Run tubes. They have a mesh bottom and a lounge chair style back, cup holder. Yes they are going to get holes in them eventually. Like he said above, bring gorilla tape or a patch kit, then keep having fun. I could replace my tube 20 times and be even with how much the NRS one cost. If you have the cash, I bet the NRS one is the shiz though.
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #8
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2007
Here's one that may be an option:

I use their snow tubes and have blast with them with the kids. Haven't tried their river tubes, got a sweet deal on some used NRS from the local guide shop. You'll notice that Tubepro runs butyl tubes inside with short valve stems vs the PVC my NRS uses. I've seen on their site somewhere some neat little party rafts also.

You're right though, the kids love using tubes on flat water floats. It's entertaining seeing how far out they can jump to the tube from raft.
"If you're gonna be a hero, you have to do stupid things once and awhile."
LAGNAF406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Saw these at Outdoor Retailer: Kwik Tek RAGIN RIVER

Seemed pretty well made for the price. Not an NRS though...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #10
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I got a used NRS tube fo 40 bucks. Worth every penny.

snakester is offline   Reply With Quote