Old 04-06-2012   #1
Aurora, Oregon
Paddling Since: 5
Revolution Cataraft tubes

Been a member for a while but this is my first attempt to post. My current cat is a 13ft 4in with 21" tubes and am looking for a set of bigger tubes with an increased load capacity for multi-day trips. I have been looking at the NRS Revolution 15ft Cool Cat urethane-coated nylon tubes which seem to have the size and load capacity for my intended use.
I'm looking for any input/opinions others may have on these tubes, either good or bad in order to make an informed decision.

herdsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
For a gear hauler those tubes will be fine, and they will have decent performance too. NRS's other cats are pure gear pigs, but the Cool Cats have a more modern shape that will give them better maneuverability and they'll slice through holes better. I saw some guys running them unloaded on the Lochsa at high flows last spring, and they handled Grim Reaper better than the older NRS designs would.

How much gear are you talking about for multi day trips? One person plus a cooler, some bags and a rocket box or water jug? Or two people and gear? I don't see a load rating on the NRS page. Also, what difficulty of rivers are you talking about?

For the price this is a good boat. I'm a loyal AIRE guy, but they would cost you more.

Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #3
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'd be concerned about the material as its still a new product. Like be sure you know what you are getting in terms of the urethane coating.

Most likely not the same class as urethane coated pvc (maravia), urethane (sotar) or urethane options that aire offers (for $$$). Adding a thin sprayed on urethane coating is probably nothing like the real thing

Just like NRS sells their gear cats for a few hundred less than Aire even though the durability is a lot less.

Sounds like you are upgrading the frame also you might check DRL he sometimes has some decent Sotar packages
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #4
roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 96
I have about 20 trips on my 13 cool cat. McKenzie, N .umpqua, Tieton, and little river. It perfoms well in big water and the tubes seem to be holding up good. I would recommend to a friend.
scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #5
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I know this topic sounded familiar

Some useful, some babble

Anyone tried NRS' new polyurethane coated nylon boat (Revolution)?
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote