Old 05-20-2016   #11
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The Savage Fury was probably the first playboat and was ahead of it's time for many years. I was paddling an RPM and my friends in the Fury could do things that I thought was impossible, probably due to the rounded hull of the RPM, but it too was a pretty revolutionary boat for its time!

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #12
Indian Hills, Colorado
I still think the S6 is one of the funnest boats I've ever paddled. Recently, I hunted down an RPM after falling in love all over again. Somehow it's so perfectly balanced and speedy!

DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #13
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If anyone has an old Riot Hammer lying around we should talk. I've been missing that one.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #14
SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Remember the savage furry? That was a wild boat..
Ah, yes... The mighty savage furry. Did you ever try its cousin, the Fluffy?
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #15
fort collinsco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I use to love paddling my Liquid Logic "pop" at 6'2" it was smallest play boat I could fit in. Then I gained some weight and it turned into more of a squirt boat with a mind of its own. Just wanted to stop and play in every hole if I wanted to or not...
dweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #16
Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
the zg was a great wave surfing boat. still one of the best

the necky vibe is another excellent surfing boat. fast loose, and carvy
huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #17
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I had a Gliss for a few seasons. Incredible on big, fast, glassy waves-ginsue carver, but loose for spinning too. I took it on a Grand trip one year and loved it!
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #18
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Pirouette S
Super sport
That was back in the day
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #19
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by dgoods View Post
I usually don't call bs on posts, but I had a sleek. The thing was ONLY made to front surf- big volume up front, super slicey, low volume stern.
Nooo... The Sleek was one of the great front surfers but it was designed by Jim Snyder. It could be argued that it was the best surface boat stern squirter ever and if you had squirt boating skills you could spend all day staring at the sky. There was a time when it was the dominant boat on the Kennebec Gorge. Yeah, big green wave heaven.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016   #20
Paddling Since: 96
Depends what features you're paddling and what you want to be doing. Front surf, flat spin, cartwheel, blunt, loop, wave moves, hole play. Almost all the companies had some good boats and when new designs were coming out several a year from each company there were some real dogs too. Dagger's RPM was a pretty popular boat and they had a good run with the Crazy 88, the Kingpin etc. Corran's flat bottom boats, the Hammer. The Glide, Slice and Disco broke new ground though they were all the same basic hull. Pyranha had some good boats. Perception's Mr. Clean had some good qualities but Shane hit a home run with the Amp and Shock. When he formed LL he came out with some real poppy boats but his Session was a cartwheel and surfing machine. EJ had some great boats and some real dogs back then. Some good Wavesport designs, the X and the XXX were great. His Jackson boats have become the standard. I followed playboating closely back then, followed my son around the world to 5? worlds comps. Each worlds had new moves based on new boat designs.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote