Old 08-17-2010   #1
San Antonio, Texas
Rescue Jacket Question

I am new to WW Kayaking, and recently purchased my starter kit as it were. I was talked into buying an Astral Green Jacket. Is it a problem that I have a rescue jacket but am not rescue certified? Is it detrimental in any way or is it more beneficial with the increased buoyancy and the design of the jacket?

Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Even certified rescue folks should practice a fair amount to easily use the extra features on a rescue vest, so just get out find someone else who has one and practice. There isn't any extra buoyancy on the Green (actually the low end for a rescue vest @ 15.5#), and the design is great as long as it's comfy for you and provides you a decent rom. Enjoy it.

Tele-axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #3
Ski Patrol
Rescue vest is the way to go, you just have more options. Take a swiftwater course and learn some skills; you'll be super stoked you went with the rescue vest.
mountainstuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #4
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Rescue Vest is almost the standard on the water today. It's not a vest you'll outgrow probably ever unless it's physically.
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Only potential issue is the rescue belt, the rest are just good features most will like. Learn how to rig and release with confidence it or just remove it, then put back once you want to.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #6
San Antonio, Texas
Awesome, thanks all. I thought I got suckered into buying something I shouldnt be using. Turns out the guy really was as helpful as I was first lead to believe.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
That all being said... a quick poll:

1) what kind of rescue pfd do you have?
2) How many of you thread the metal buckle according to manufacturer's suggestions and how many thread it through only one slot then to the release buckle?

I ask this because I've heard many stories of the buckles not releasing under tension and some thread it through only one slot. I'm just asking, not suggesting one way or the other.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #8
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've got the astral (aquavest?) 300r.

I started threading only through the plastic buckle after I heard the story of the tethered swim through Lower Narrows last year. I paddle with it in that configuration for gear retrieval, knowing that I'll need to re-thread the metal buckle for a tethered rescue.
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
astral green jacket is my favorite

I have the SWR training.

But, I choose the Green Jacket because of the fit.

It is low on flotation in my opinion for a rescue vest

At the same time the zipped up holder for the cowtail is really nice as it protects a bit from accidental catches
on the other hand
getting the pocket unzipped and the biner out of the pocket is not as easy as many other designs.

Bottom line just about everything in gear is a trade off one way or another.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote