Old 03-25-2011   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1979
RecreTec alert

Just a heads up...I don't know what is going on with RecreTec, but they have become very unreliable. I have been trying to get a new gasket for my dry box for the last two months. I have even spoken with the owner twice, and emailed three times, with no results. I leave for the Grand on Monday, so I guess I am going to have to find another solution.
If you are going to order from them, go through a distributor.
Good luck.

budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wow, that's too bad. I got a drybox from Timmy last year, and he was great to work with. However he hadn't owned the company long, maybe he's not making ends meet?

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
go by home depot or lowes and look in their weatherstrip area, be sure to get the closed cell waterproof strips as there is two grades of weather stripping, I put some in my dry box when the original ones started failing
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #4
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
A friend of mine just got a new gasket from them and all it was, was over priced weather stripping like you would use between a camper shell and the truck. I'm not kidding it was the exact same stuff. I think he had to pay a lot for shipping too.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #5
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Thats too bad....... they have partner blasters listed for $145 right now, guess I'm glad I saw this before I pulled the trigger.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #6
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
pull the trigger, unless you need something asap. You should know the shipping cost before the item ships. If it doesn't arrive, your credit card company will protect you. don't let two bad posts help destroy an otherwise good reputation. Who knows -- its a small company maybe there was a medical emergency ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #7
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
... Who knows -- its a small company...
True that.
Timmy is chief cook and bottle washer there and handles all incoming orders. I would hope for his sake he has biggger orders to juggle than a single replacement gasket.
Alternate sources (Home Depot, etc.) have been posted. Another is through NRS: RecreTec Replacement Gasket for Aluminum Box
My guess is they have more people on hand to pack and ship the small stuff as a priority.
All my dealings with Timmy have been positive.

Jerry Malloy
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #8
Albany, Oregon
dry box gasket

Originally Posted by Gumbydamnit View Post
A friend of mine just got a new gasket from them and all it was, was over priced weather stripping like you would use between a camper shell and the truck. I'm not kidding it was the exact same stuff. I think he had to pay a lot for shipping too.
He paid the minimum amount for shipping that UPS charges and it is NOT regular camper tape, it is very expensive proprietary made PORON
(tm) closed cell gasket with 3M (tm) adhesive. It lasts for years and holds its resiliency like no other.
RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #9
coquille, Oregon
Paddling Since: 00
I have contacted Timmy a few times now and he seems to tend to business well. He always takes the time to answer any questions that I may have. I, too needed new drybox gaskets. He was coming through my area and delivered them to me. It is good material if you check out the info provided above it is the real deal. Trust me this is no cheap ass camper tape bs. I have gone that route and this stuff is way better.
sherm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #10
Albany, Oregon
Ok so here goes!! This is Chief Cook..I prefer chef, and bottle washer...and whatever else. LOL... Though I am not the ONLY one who works at RecrTec, I am the owner/operator and I am in charge of all sales, production and shipping. I sincerely apologize if I have ANY unhappy customer out there but I sincerely do not know who this is that I have given such poor service. I did however just send them a personal note on here and let them know I am truly sorry and would like to send them a free gasket ASAP to try and make it right! We are a growing company and have pains, we are making ends meet but sometimes they are a little jagged especially after the end of a long slow winter and then get slammed INSTANTLY with orders from out dealers and sometimes the small things do fall through the cracks. Rest assured I do not take this lightly and I AM working and implementing new procedures and policies so that this does NOT continue to happen!
Also, let me please address a couple other things. Our dry box gasket material is NOT just any ordinary camper shell tape you can buy at Home Depot or ANYWHERE else! It is a proprietary made gasket material for us called PORON (tm) which is a closed cell superior grade neoprene that has added UV stability and 3M (tm) adhesive on the back. This gasket material retains its resiliency second to none and if stored with lid open on boxes and taken care of we have seen it last more than 10yrs!! I also DO NOT inflate my shipping and DO NOT charge "handling" fees! Anyone who gets a gasket gets it UPS and UPS minimum residential charge whether its an 8oz gasket or up to 5lb. package it costs $8 bucks!! I dont take advantage of people and Im NOT trying to get rich, just make an honest living with the BEST whitewater products money can buy! I am human and make mistakes but admit when I do and always try to make it right.
So...give me a chance to make it right and please rest assured we are here to help and will ALWAYS do out best!
Thanks for a great past 3 seasons!
RecreTec Mfg. Inc.
Welcome to

RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote