Mountain Buzz banner

Recreational kayaking with your WW kayak

Tags
kayaking
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lmyers 
#1 ·
Hey guys what gear do you use when going recreational kayaking? Say a calm lake while camping or just paddling around in a pond?

Do you put the skirt on or just use kayak and paddle? Or should you not use your WW kayak for recreational? Kind of an odd question, but I'm curious

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

#2 ·
Why not?? You can use your river boat on the lake. Its just not as efficient. Lake boats tend to be longer with a keel that makes it easy to hold a straight line. They also use longer paddles with a stroke further away from the boat. River boats on a lake are a workout, thats all.

If you dont use a skirt, its harder to roll. But I have used my river boat in a lake without skirt.

#3 ·
Doesn't matter. my decision is(was) generally based on how much access I need to the inside of my boat and how much paddling I am going to be doing (how much water I want dripping in my lap).

I have done multi day desert trips where I never put my skirt on because it was hot and the water in my lap felt good....but I have used a skirt to fish from my kayak in November when it was more comfortable because of the heat retained inside the boat.

Nowadays I usually just take the SUP if going to the lake and leave the boats at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.