Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 09-13-2013   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Recommendations for a good beginners river-running kayak

I figured this topic would be done to death, although I couldn't quite find it, so here goes. I'm a newb to whitewater kayaking and would like to buy a first kayak for river-running on Colorado rivers. I have very limited experience (two floats of Labyrinth Canyon on the Green in canoes, rafting and canoeing the Lower Animas, and some lake canoeing). I'm not really looking to do any playboating, just run the rivers and hopefully get up to some higher class rapids eventually. Suggestions? I was thinking about a Dagger RPM Max, although I get the impression that they're outdated.

RyanHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #2
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
LL Remix

Liquidlogic Remix will be a good learner boat and take you to wherever you want to go.

jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
One of the biggest advantages the newer kayaks (LL Remix) have over the older kayaks is the improved ergonomics and outfitting. It is also much easier to dial in the "perfect" fit on a LL Remix than it is on the old RPM. Sit in a few different kayaks before you buy - and spend a good 20-30 minutes sitting in each boat and then ask yourself if you could spend hours in it without a break.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #4
Denver, Colorado
So, it's looking like I might need to qualify my post in a different way. I'm looking for an intro kayak more in the $300-$400 range. It's looking to me like I can't get a LiquidLogic Remix or Dagger Mamba (the other one I was recommended in another place) within that price range. Recommendations? Hypothetically, can we talk a little more about what my situation would look like if I were to purchase an RPM? What would my "ergonomics and outfitting" challenges be?
Old 09-29-2013   #5
Enfield, New Hampshire
re beg kayak

I also sometimes feel like getting back the RPMMax which I enjoyed a lot back in the day.The last sev months I had it the backband strap had snapped and I was making do with a large curved piece of foam as backrest.The issue with boats from that era as far as ergon. and outfitting go is that the boat has nothing adjustable to help you get the right fit;you have to modify it yourself with addition or subtraction of foam etc.If you sit in the boat and feel that the fit is sort of OK and can be optimised with minimal modif. go for it. The RPM series is timeless.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
RPM is a good boat if you dont mind the extra effort to get it to fit right, but with $3-400 in boat money, you can pick up something pretty modern, especially in the offseason.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #7
NOCO, Colorado
The Jackson "Fun" series and WaveSport "Fuse" series are good all around river running boats. They're great at almost everything and yet don't excel at anything. My kids are currently paddling the Fun and Fuse series and I think they're great beginner kayaks. The 1st generation Fun series came out in 2004 and the most recent 3rd generation came out in 2010 and there are several sizes of each. You can find first and some second generation Fun kayaks for $350-$400, and likely some Fuse kayaks in the same price range.
The predecessors of these would be the the WaveSport EZG and Ez/BigEz series and the Pyranha InaZone" series plus others.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #8
Fort Collins
My suggestion if you have time, and we are moving to the off season, is watch cl and the mb swap like a hawk for a little while. If you are patient, you should be able to land a newer boat with some start up gear for your price range. And I second or third, getting something newer for the comfort of the boat and ease of outfitting. It will make a big difference in how much you enjoy it if you are comfortable.
"If I'm not there, it means I'm dead...or late!" General W.R. Monger
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #9
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the help, guys. That clarifies a lot. I ended up finding a Dagger Mamba 8.0 with a bunch of gear for a little more than 500 bucks. I haven't toyed with the outfitting yet, although I know that I will need to move the seat back a little and possibly move the foot-rests back a notch or two. It's awesome to have the option to move stuff around. I'm really glad that I didn't go with the RPM and I attribute that decision largely to this thread. Thanks again, guys!
Old 09-30-2013   #10
Paddling Since: 2008
You will have to let us know what you think of the Mamba. I am also looking for a river/creek boat right now and am so on the fence with all I have heard.

j-star is offline   Reply With Quote