Old 11-18-2012   #1
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Recommendation for fishing boat bag?

I'd like to get a waterproof boat bag for my raft where I can store and easily access fly-fishing gear, camera, etc. Sage, Patagonia, and others make them but the cost is 200 to 250 bucks. Do I need to spend that much or has someone discovered a more economical alternative? Thanks for your suggestions.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
you should probably post some links to the stuff you like but don't want to pay for. people's fly fishing gear, camera gear plus "ect." can vary from fitting in a couple shirt pockets to filling the back of a car. rough sizing, wp zippers or roll down,ect,ect, ect.

okay, i'm bored to tears just typing this out

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Neither of the bags you listed are really waterproof. They're splashproof. If you flip, your stuff is gonna get wet. They're more for carrying your stuff on a flats boat and tolerating a rain. I've used these types that way with great results- Mine is the Mangrove brand- but on a raft, it's a different story because you could end up in the water, or your gear could get washed into the water if it's not tied down. Your "dry bag" suddenly becomes a bag that took on water and held it inside really well.

Two recommendations for you- An Engel dry box/cooler. This is essentially a cooler- but it can double as a dry box because it has no drain and it has an air tight seal. Beware- this seal is almost too good, and the box can actually blow out if you travel over mountain passes with significant altitude changes. I know because I blew mine out this way the first time I tried it. Now I lay the end of the shoulder strap inside to ease the seal on the gasket until I'm at my destination. You could easily build a set of dividers out of closed cell foam and some glue to separate your gear. You might pad the bottom too if you're planning to carry camera gear in there. This is a cheap(er) solution that should serve you well. Pull out the dividers and you've got a nice sized day cooler as well.

Second choice is a Watershed dry bag tote with a roll top and their photographer's insert. This will come out as expensive as what you're looking at- but much more functional and versatile. It's completely waterproof- and handy for lots of things. I use mine diving, fishing, floating, camping.

If you just need something along the lines of the Patagucci or Sage bags, Shimano makes the same thing out of PVC for a lot less money- you can find them at places like Bass Pro. They have several choices along the same lines- as does Cabelas.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #4
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
+1 on the Watershed. I have the Ocoee and it has been submerged a few times. Once for about thirty minutes. Never a drop of water inside. It has straps built in, so you can strap it just about about anywhere.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #5
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Pelican cases are another option, especially for a camera or other frangle items.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Thumbs up for both Pelican & Watershed. Two great products, but each with it's own best use. I have had my camera gear in a Pelican box, strapped to my Cat frame for 10 years. Not only waterproof, but crush proof as well. The Pelican has been hucked into trailers, tossed into the back of vehicles, and generally abused more times than I care to remember, and it's still going strong. I've been using Watershed bags for my "soft goods" for the same length of time with nary a failure yet. I own 5 watershed bags of varying sizes. I just started carrying an Ocoee in my rower space this past season for my rain gear, layers, spare hat, etc. Easy access without worrying about banging a shin into a hard captains box.
Both of these products would work well, depending on what you want to put in them. Not cheap....but you won't get a better bang for your buck.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What about an ammo can? Cheap and waterproof.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #8
Kalispell, Montana
Fly fishing gear can get wet/damp, can't it?

Small pelican box for the camera to stay 100% dry.

Rolltop drybag for spare clothes that will probably stay dry, or worst case get damp. Still dry enough for safety clothing.

Whatever you want for the fly fishing gear.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #9
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Ideally, it's nice to keep your flies dry. A little moisture in there and you've got many hours work at the vise ruined by rusty hooks. Most boxes these days come with an o-ring, so it's less of a problem than a few years ago.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #10
Kalispell, Montana
Sorry, that shows my flyfishing naivete!

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote