Ready To Pull The Trigger On The Aire Lynx 1 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2016   #1

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Ready To Pull The Trigger On The Aire Lynx 1

Finally getting back into paddling after 6 years, and have decided to go the IK route this time around. I had a Perception Stikine when we were living in Montana, but ended up selling it after a few seasons due to low usage. Too many other hobbies to contend with, so something had to go. I was looking for something a little more simplistic, and easier to deal with this go around. With the IK, I can deflate and roll it up and stick it in the back of the car and store it easily in a closet or spare bedroom.

I've been renting a "performance" IK from an outfitter in North Carolina on the Nantahala River the last 4 weekends and have had great success with it. I think it's a NRS Maverick. In my research on these IK's, I kept seeing the Aire brand popping up on the interwebs, as well as here on MountainBuzz. After much reading, as well as talking to the guy's at Aire on multiple occasions, I feel like this is the boat for me. The new NRS MaveriIK 1 performance IK did catch my eye for a bit, but I keep going back to the Lynx 1.

For any of you that are paddling an IK, especially an Aire, I would appreciate any feedback you might have, or if there are any other contenders out there that I should maybe look at.

I did get to sit in the Lynx 1, as well as the Force, this weekend at Southern Raft Supply in Asheville NC so that did give me a good insight at what the Lynx is all about.

Kevin.

kevinboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016   #2

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
AIRE is undoubtedly #1 for quality, warranty fullfilment etc I have an original Force which I purchased when they first came out and its still going strong without any major problems. So you can't go wrong with a Lynx.My only issue with these AIRE, NRS, and other similar models is they are way too heavy to carry back up to run the fun rapids over and over. For that reason I got a SevylorSK1ooDS which weighs much less and you can easily carry back up. It also is very well built and costs less than half the price of a Lynx and needs very little if any babying around. Obviously it cannot match the Lynx in overall stability but is much more maneuverable.

I would say get the Lynx and use it till you feel you need something more agile. It holds its resale value pretty well or you can keep it as a guest boat or for harder water.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
lynx 1

I have a lynx 1 i bought in 1996 or so, cupped valve covers and all. On the water 15 days each year. Quick, fun, durable. My 13 and 11 yr olds are learning to paddle in this boat. Recommended.
mooreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #4

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
I have the Tributary Strike sole and feel it maneuvers well and punches through waves rather then going over them. Tracks good for a IK in flat water

I would say get thigh straps and feet brace/pegs...make all the difference in whitewater

Also you can't really beat the price either

more info you can read here AIRE Lynx Whitewater Inflatable Kayaks Buyers Guide

Good luck
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #5
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
really can't go wrong with either the MaverIK or the Lynx. I like the MaverIK a lot, but wouldn't complain about a Lynx at all.
Old 07-13-2016   #6
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Aire is great to work with. I had a valve issue on my sealed floor 156R and they took care of it. Not only did they replace the burp valve but they checked the purge valve and decided to replace that too because it didn't meet their strict standards. Bummer it made it out of the factory in the first place, but they made it right, paid for all the shipping and had a turn around about 10 days. Recommend! American made too. Get the thigh straps and foot braces.
OC1Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #7

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
AIRE is undoubtedly #1 for quality, warranty fullfilment etc I have an original Force which I purchased when they first came out and its still going strong without any major problems. So you can't go wrong with a Lynx.My only issue with these AIRE, NRS, and other similar models is they are way too heavy to carry back up to run the fun rapids over and over. For that reason I got a SevylorSK1ooDS which weighs much less and you can easily carry back up. It also is very well built and costs less than half the price of a Lynx and needs very little if any babying around. Obviously it cannot match the Lynx in overall stability but is much more maneuverable.

I would say get the Lynx and use it till you feel you need something more agile. It holds its resale value pretty well or you can keep it as a guest boat or for harder water.
Thanks Jimmy. I had read your previous posts regarding Aire, and it definitely helped me make the decision to go with them.
Old 07-13-2016   #8

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreso View Post
I have a lynx 1 i bought in 1996 or so, cupped valve covers and all. On the water 15 days each year. Quick, fun, durable. My 13 and 11 yr olds are learning to paddle in this boat. Recommended.

1996...that's what I like to hear. I've read many reviews online that echo your statement. Aire boats seem to stand the test of time. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016   #9

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon View Post
I have the Tributary Strike sole and feel it maneuvers well and punches through waves rather then going over them. Tracks good for a IK in flat water

I would say get thigh straps and feet brace/pegs...make all the difference in whitewater

Also you can't really beat the price either

more info you can read here AIRE Lynx Whitewater Inflatable Kayaks Buyers Guide

Good luck
Thanks for that link. I had not seen that one during all my research.
Old 07-13-2016   #10

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
really can't go wrong with either the MaverIK or the Lynx. I like the MaverIK a lot, but wouldn't complain about a Lynx at all.
Yeah, after renting the "high" performance MaverIK the last 4 weekends, I started having second thoughts about the Lynx 1, but after sitting in the Lynx this past weekend and getting a "feel" for it, I could really see some distinct differences between the 2 boats.

Tags
aire