Ready To Pull The Trigger On The Aire Lynx 1 - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2016   #11

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1Rolls View Post
Aire is great to work with. I had a valve issue on my sealed floor 156R and they took care of it. Not only did they replace the burp valve but they checked the purge valve and decided to replace that too because it didn't meet their strict standards. Bummer it made it out of the factory in the first place, but they made it right, paid for all the shipping and had a turn around about 10 days. Recommend! American made too. Get the thigh straps and foot braces.
Great to hear about Aire's CS. I've talked to some of the guy's at Aire on 5 different occasions. They have been very helpful. They even offered to send me the Lynx 1 without making any payment, just pay shipping, so I could inflate it in my house and get a true feel for it. If I liked it, then they would have billed me. You don't see that kind of service much these days.

I've decided to go with the thwart seat instead of the Cheetah chair. I really liked the thwart seat in the MaverIK. Great lower back support. Instead of the foot pegs, I'm going with the Tomcat inflatable "pillow" for foot bracing. The guy's at Aire said that was a much better set up than the pegs, and that they have been using that set up with great results. I will also be getting the thigh straps as well.

kevinboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016   #12

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
I've decided to go with the thwart seat instead of the Cheetah chair. I really liked the thwart seat in the MaverIK. Great lower back support. Instead of the foot pegs, I'm going with the Tomcat inflatable "pillow" for foot bracing. The guy's at Aire said that was a much better set up than the pegs, and that they have been using that set up with great results. I will also be getting the thigh straps as well.
I did the same thing with my Strike as well .........thwart seat and tomcat (pillow) for foot brace ....works great

they let me swap the cheetah seat for the tomcat one and I had to buy the thwart seat.....but well worth it
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #13

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Another option for a foot brace is a suitable length of PVC pipe that can be fixed with a bungee cord to the cargo loops in the required position. Works extremely well and is pretty cheap. You can wrap the PVC with insulation foam, makes it look very "professional".

Kevin, appreciate your thank you message and post above.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016   #14

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
Another option for a foot brace is a suitable length of PVC pipe that can be fixed with a bungee cord to the cargo loops in the required position. Works extremely well and is pretty cheap. You can wrap the PVC with insulation foam, makes it look very "professional".

Kevin, appreciate your thank you message and post above.
Do you have pics to show this? and or a step by step??? I would def like to know more about this and see how it works

Thanks
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #15

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Get a piece of PVC piping about 2-3"s in diam from your hardware store. The length should be marginally less than the inside width of the IK where your feet will brace against the PVC tube.Just pass a bungee cord thru the PVC and attach either end of the cord to the nearest cargo loops. The hardest part[!!] is finding a length of bungee that allows the pipe to be firm against your feet without too much give. The whole setup should cost less than $10. For a nice feel for your feet you can wrap some insulating foam around the PVC.

If you send me your email I can send a picture if you have any probl. setting it up.
jimmyrzerotwofouratgmail.com
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #16

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
AIRE Lynx is a great boat--probably the best overall IK still made in my opinion. I've paddled Hysides and own NRS Bandits. The Bandit I has the same cut as the Maverick just made with lighter material. It is a great sporty boat and if you know how to paddle a hardshell it could be a good option... but the Lynx is far more stable and forgiving. No matter how good you are, when you start running class IV in your ducky you need that extra stability.

Over here we do a lot of outfitting of IKs with 2" minicell foam blocks. I have big blocks cut that wedge into the front of my boats. The get strapped down and displace a good bit of water in addition to being much better than foot pegs for support.

The only other boat that I would consider if it I was dropping coin on a new duck would be the AIRE Outfitter. I saw specs on that when it came out and it looked good. It is designed to be a bit more stable in big water and better for rookies than the Lynx. If you get a chance to paddle one tell us how it compares.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #17

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrown98 View Post
AIRE Lynx is a great boat--probably the best overall IK still made in my opinion. I've paddled Hysides and own NRS Bandits. The Bandit I has the same cut as the Maverick just made with lighter material. It is a great sporty boat and if you know how to paddle a hardshell it could be a good option... but the Lynx is far more stable and forgiving. No matter how good you are, when you start running class IV in your ducky you need that extra stability.

Over here we do a lot of outfitting of IKs with 2" minicell foam blocks. I have big blocks cut that wedge into the front of my boats. The get strapped down and displace a good bit of water in addition to being much better than foot pegs for support.

The only other boat that I would consider if it I was dropping coin on a new duck would be the AIRE Outfitter. I saw specs on that when it came out and it looked good. It is designed to be a bit more stable in big water and better for rookies than the Lynx. If you get a chance to paddle one tell us how it compares.
Thanks very much for your input Jake. A ringing endorsement for the Lynx. The new MaverIK 1 high performance got me to take a hard look at it, but in the end the Lynx won out. I looked at the Outfitter as well, but the guy's at Aire said the Lynx would work better for my style of paddling.
kevinboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #18

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
...the guy's at Aire said the Lynx would work better for my style of paddling.
Can you say a bit more about that? What style of paddling is best for each (Lynx vs. Outfitter) from what the Aire foilks said?
Thanks!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #19

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've had that conversation with Shena at Aire, the outfitter was designed to get customers down river with the fewest swims. The Lynx although similar is intended to be sportier and more maneuverable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #20
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Force!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire