Old 04-19-2011   #1
Kelowna, British Columbia
Paddling Since: 2000
Rand or Bungee

I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a spray skirt for a dagger agent 6.0. i was looking into the lucky charm by IR for a while and was told yesterday that i should look at the Klingon due to a convex curve around the knee area of the boat. apparentely with a rand style skirt (lucky charm) they tend to bridge across that curve, allowing water in between the bridge and into the boat. it makes alot of sense but i have my concerns with bungee style skirts like the klingon. the last time i used one was around 4-5 years ago, and i really didnt like it. i dont remember who it was made by but I found the skirt popped up around the sides of the boat, right above the hip area leaving the skirt half on/half off. it was easy to slide off when using an overthruster. i also found them alot less dry.
have the bungee skirts gotten alot better within the last couple years? or should i stick with a rand style? id rather have a wet boat than one with a skirt that keeps popping off.
also if anyone has an Agent im interested in what works best for you.
i plan on hitting Class III/IV as well as alot of playboating.

DyE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #2
White Salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi DyE22-
John, our founder and head designer, put together this little clip to help out guys in your position- Check it out: IR Customer Service TV: Tips for choosing between a rand and bungee skirt*|*Immersion Research 2011

With that said, I would recommend the Klingon skirt- its going to be much drier on that boat rim. Keep in mind, that you will need to tighten the bolts on that boat regularly, to keep it dry. Many folks put aquaseal or gorilla tape over the bolts, to help with sealing water out. The Klingon is not your ordinary bungee sprayskirt. The skirt is designed to keep water out, by actually wrapping the neoprene partially around the bungee- so the neoprene creates the seal against the cockpit rim, not the bungee itself. We have also placed a sticky coating to the underside of the skirt, for anti-implosion purposes. If you have any other questions about the skirt, or what size would fit best on that boat, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at

Hope this helps answer your question!

Jesse-ImmersionResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #3
Vail, Colorado
I got a KlingOn skirt from Jesse around this time last year. Such a good skirt! Even on an odd shaped cockpit like the Pyranha Burn it created a bomber seal that always stays put.
Thanks Jesse!
-Andy from Alpine Quest
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #4
Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
the ir kling-on is a good choice. i used one on my burn last year a few days and was impressed. i'm in the market for a new skirt too. i think ir has really done a great job improving their skirt designs these past few years. snap dragon used to make a similar skirt with the extra neoprene outside the bungee but no sticky coating. (not sure if they make it anymore)

one of the things that must suck about making skirts for the manufacturer is that it is always the skirt manufacturer who gets blamed for leaking boats. when some of the time the criticism should be directed at certain kayak manufacturers who make boats with crappy cockpit designs that make it difficult for any skirt to keep you dry. i heard through second-hand-bar-talk hearsay awhile back that john weld has told boat manufacturers about making better decks. i guess some of them aren't getting the message that it is possible to make better cockpit designs. so kudos to john and all of the great folks at ir for finding the best possible way to keep the people with boats that have poorly designed cockpit rims drier.
A_Visceral_Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote