Old 09-01-2013   #1
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Raising the seat in Mamba 8.6...Consequences??

I 've had my 8.6 for all this year and never really felt connected with the thigh braces unless I put in about 2-3"s of foam padding every time I used it.My hips and thighs are probably smaller than what this boat requires but my overall wt is on par with the boat specs [200-205].Anyway, I decided to raise the seat about 3cms by adding foam, and I see this has allowed me to cut the thigh foaming by at least two thirds and has made egress much easier.

My questions are...what are the performance changes going to be due to seat raising,will it become tippy?[Shouldnt, since it is incredibly wide, yes??], will it roll easier? Will I have more paddle control with less effort? And anything else you can think of.
I do not want to change the boat if I can at all help it,but if it came to that what boat performs similar to this one?Me, 200-205 loaded,inseam 32.

Thanks for your help guys.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #2
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Raising the seat, no matter how wide the boat is, will inherently raise the center of gravity. This will increase your leverage against the boat, but make you slightly unstable in harder water

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #3
Enfield, New Hampshire
re raising seat

So I paddled my mamba today with the seat raised 1" across some tricky eddy lines that have given me problems and did not feel in the least bit tippy. I also seemed to have a fair bit of increased leverage against the current.

My feeling now is that maybe I should get a longer paddle to go with the raised seat as my current paddle is only 194 and I was thinking of something in the 200-204 range. Any thoughts?Have a normal armspan but short torso.
Old 09-04-2013   #4
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I have raised the seat in every boat I have owned because I have a short torso. You get used to the tippy feeling right away, but the benefits out weigh the cons. I find it much easier to roll because I am able to get my body over the boat rather than when I feel like I'm sitting deep down inside it, I feel I can't get my blade to the surface as well. However I didn't feel like I needed a longer paddle.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #5
Enfield, New Hampshire
Re seat

Normally I would agree, but I think that 194cms is short for a mamba 8.6.
Old 09-13-2013   #6
Enfield, New Hampshire
re seat in Mamba

So I have been paddling my mamba with the seat raised 1"-1 1/4" and its made a huge diff... the boat paddles easier, rolling is effortless, and I dont feel in the least bit tippy in cl 3 eddy lines.I also changed to a longer paddle, 200 cms. Thats from a 194 I had before.